FLIGHT KL 810
CLASS OF SERVICE Economy
SEAT NUMBER 36G
AIRCRAFT Boeing 777-300ER
TAKEOFF 14-09-04 11:20 p.m.
LANDING AT 5:55 a.m.
EK 380
The 16th May 2015

Photo review of KLM flight from Kuala Lumpur to Amsterdam in Economy

This will be my first flight report here and please bear with my lousy photo and writing.

This flight was taken back in September 2014 when I was traveling from KUL to EDI via AMS. The journey is broken into:

1) KUL-AMS KL 810 777-300ER PH-BVD
2) AMS-EDI KL 1277 737-700 PH-BGQ

For this report I will focus on the first part of my journey. Sorry for the lack of pictures as I was not really intending to write a FR back then but decided otherwise since this route is so rarely covered.

Let's Start.

Early last year, I have decided to continue my studies and decided to do it in one of the universities in Edinburgh. Having a date that I need to be in EDI for orientation, I was left with not much choice as September is a peak period where many students travel to the UK. I was really hoping to go on QR to Edinburgh because DOH-EDI would be in a 788 and I prefer to split the journey into more equal parts. However in life things don't always goes my way, so I was left to choose KL as other options are way to expensive.

So fast forward to the day I was traveling.

I arrived at KUL approximately 3.5 hours before the flight just in case of traffic. As expected, the check in counters are not open yet, but passengers can printout their boarding pass from the self-service machines. One downside of this is you only get a flimsy thin piece of paper and not a real thick boarding pass like those you were to get it from the check in counter.

photo 20140904_202820

Soon, the check in counter opened and there was quite a queue in front. Oddly the counters are not mend by KL or Malaysian Airport ground staff but by what I presume are MH ground staffs as they had MH staff pass and MH uniform.

After a brief farewell to my family, I head airside. I have access to Plaza Premium lounge from one of my cards and it is nothing to shout about. It is just a good place to spend some time and have some, what I would consider as, light bites before the flight. It was kind of pack when I was there possibly because its dinner time and there are many flights leaving at night. (Sorry for the lack of pictures of the lounge but its nothing spectacular). This is my plane taken from the lounge that just got in from CGK at gate C2.

photo whole plane

The mission today is done by PH-BVD 'Amboseli National Park' which is a little more than 5 years old then. I felt that the blue seats makes the plane looks a bit older than the actual age. This plane has Sky Team livery rather than the usual KL livery.

I did not spend much time plane spotting in KUL because it is not plane spotter friendly at all. Every gate has a holding area where all passengers have to go through security scan before going into a holding area. Despite having glass barriers, it is hard to even see the planes.

So after the second security checks, I was in the holding area looking at the metal that would take me about half way across the globe.

photo 777 300 er

Boarding was first by J and all those with FF status. Then, its the rush by everyone else. Many of the original passengers from CGK continued on to AMS from my observation. The flight is about 95% full in Y.

Finally at my seat and pillows and blankets are laid out on each seat.

photo pillow and blanket

The very old looking entertainment system. I can live with the resolution of the screen but it seriously need revamp of content. The system was off until the fasten seat belt sign turned off. It does not have touch screen capabilities, so I resorted to using the remote.

photo PTV

The seat pitch which was reported to be 31 from Seat Guru but bearable for me.

photo pitch

The content of the seat pocket.

photo seat pocket

And lastly the only amenities on board.

photo earphone

No physical menu was distributed but the selection is on the PTV.

photo menu 1
photo menu 2
photo menu 3
photo menu 4
photo menu 5
photo menu 6
photo menu 7

We toke off without much difficulties and the cabin crew can by with hot towel, drinks and a pack of cheese sticks. the FAs works with a smile but was quite impersonal.

photo drinks

Now for the actual food. The choices on board was either beef or chicken. I chose the beef with red wine. The beef was barely acceptable as it is quite tasteless and the red wine is not to my liking. But thinking of the journey ahead I finished it.

photo dinner 1
photo dinner 2

The cabin lights was dimmed for passengers to sleep once all the trays are collected. I quickly dosed off and missed the ice cream served 38,000ft above ground. But its no biggie. There is a make shift self-service bar on the right aisle at the back of the plane with mini Mars bars, mini Mentos, some cheese crackers with drinks for anyone who wants a mid movie snack. Only mineral water, coke and juices were on offer.

About 2 hours a way from AMS, breakfast was served. This time there were no choice.

photo breakfast

Final view of the PTV before landing.

photo ptv 2

And I was in the famous Schiphol airport. Interestingly AMS also scans passengers like in KUL just before boarding a plane. But I do not see this happening in places like LGW, EDI, HAM or DXB

The last picture before I end. The relatively mini 737 that will bring me to EDI and the 77W that brought me to AMS at the end of the row of 777s

photo both plane

Verdict

KLM

TOTAL 6.0/10

Plaza Premium Lounge

Comfort 5.5
TOTAL 5.5/10

Kuala Lumpur - KUL

TOTAL 6.6/10

Amsterdam - AMS

TOTAL 6.4/10

Conclusion

This was my first flight that lasted more than 8 hours and first time on KLM. I have heard many bad things about them but I chose to evaluate them myself. I have only traveled with EK (in Y) in the last five years on a full service carrier so naturally I was expecting quite a lot. However, this flight proved to me that KLM is not as bad as many say they are but they are not among the better airlines either. The portions of meals served are quite small. I personally asked the FA for a toothbrush and eye shades but was bluntly turned down. EK was happy to give out items like these even in flights half this length. I am also not a big fan of being on a plane for so long in such situations.