FLIGHT LA801
CLASS OF SERVICE Business
SEAT NUMBER --
AIRCRAFT Boeing 787-9
TAKEOFF 16-01-15 7:35 a.m.
LANDING AT 9:15 a.m.
KévinDC
The 25th January 2016

Photo review of LAN Airlines flight from Auckland to Sydney in Business

Kia Ora! Welcome to the next report in this series of flights down under! This report will cover a Trans-Tasman fight on the LAN Airlines 5th freedom Auckland to Sydney route.

Here is the full routing:

Washington Reagan National DCA ✈ Dallas - Fort Worth DFW : American Airlines, B737-800, Domestic First class [HERE]
Dallas - Fort Worth DFW ✈ Hong Kong Check Lap Kok HKG : American Airlines, B777-300ER, Business Class [HERE]
Hong Kong Chek Lap Kok HKG ✈ Singapore Changi SIN : Cathay Pacific, B777-300, Business Class [HERE]
Singapore Changi SIN ✈ Sydney Kingsford Smith SYD : British Airways, B777-300ER, Premium Economy [HERE]
Melbourne Tullamarine MEL ✈ Sydney Kingsford Smith SYD : Qantas Airways, B737-800, Business Class [HERE]
Sydney Kingsford Smith SYD ✈ Christchurch Airport CHC : Qantas Jetconnect, B737-800, Business Class [HERE]
Queenstown Airport ZQN ✈ Auckland Airport AKL : Air New Zealand, A320-200, Economy Class [HERE]
Auckland Airport AKL ✈ Sydney Kingsford Smith SYD : LAN Airlines, B787-9, Business Class [THIS REPORT]
Sydney Kingsford Smith SYD ✈ Singapore Changi SIN : British Airways, B777-300ER, Business Class [HERE]
Singapore Changi SIN ✈ Tokyo Narita NRT : Japan Airlines, B767-300ER, Economy Class [HERE]
Tokyo Narita NRT ✈ Chicago O'hare ORD : American Airlines, B787-8, Business Class [HERE]
Chicago O'hare ORD ✈ Washington Reagan National DCA : American Airlines, B737-800, Domestic First Class [HERE]

Although I was not looking forward to leaving Middle-Earth, New Zealand is just such a breathtakingly beautiful country, I was very much looking forward to this flight. This will not only be my first 787 Dreamliner flight ever, but it's on a cool 5th freedom route on the other side of the world!

The night before the flight, I received a text message, voicemail, and e-mail from Qantas (tickets were bought through Qantas.com) advising of a delay on the morning LAN flight due to a late departure from Santiago de Chile. The delay was only an hour so I wasn't too worried about it. I appreciated Qantas' efforts to notify us of this change.

photo QF Delay email

In the morning, we got to the airport about 2 hours prior to the normal scheduled departure. You never know that delays can be shortened if the flight from SCL makes up time in the air so it's important to arrive about on time for normal departure time.

photo IMG_5712

Interesting curbside coffee shop.

photo IMG_5714

Although there was only one family in front of us in the Business class check-in queue, it took the agent a good 15 minutes to get them checked in–maybe this was due to the delay. Only one agent was working the Business class line and none of the Economy check-in agents thought to call us over to shorten the wait. Once we got to the check-in counter, the agent was friendly and efficient. We had a connection from SYD on BA on a separate ticket and she checked our bags through on the BA flight with no problems.

photo IMG_5711

Security was a breeze and we were through and airside in just a few minutes.

photo IMG_5715

The Qantas First and Business lounges are located upstairs. The Emirates lounge is just to the right of the Qantas lounge. Has we been flying Qantas, we would have had access to the Emirates lounge, but because we were flying LAN, we were limited to the Qantas lounges.

photo IMG_5716

Upon entry and check of boarding passes, a friendly agent points us to the First class lounge to our left.

The First class lounge is on the small side, but as there are very few people in the lounge, it is pleasant and cosy.

photo IMG_5717

photo IMG_5719

photo IMG_3688

Large choice of newspapers and magazines are available

photo IMG_5718

Hot food and a decent choice of beer and wine are self-serve. Hard liquor, however, is not available until 11:30AM. Luckily, I wasn't in the mood for a Bloody Mary.

photo IMG_3681

photo IMG_3683

Good champagne is always better than a Bloody Mary anyway, no matter the hour :-)

photo IMG_3682

The hot dishes were closer to lukewarm, but I like that they had Eggs-Benedict.

photo IMG_3684

photo IMG_3685

There is a small work area in a separate room with 4 computer stations. I printed the boarding passes for the BA flight here to save a trip to a transfer desk in SYD.

photo IMG_3691

photo IMG_3686

As I didn't see any FIDS in the First class lounge, around 0800 I went out to ask the lounge agent if she knew the status of the LAN flight to SYD. I had seen online that the inbound flight had arrived at 0640 and figured we would be boarding soon. The agent called the gate and was told that boarding would begin in 10 minutes. Perfect timing!

photo IMG_5720

View of our beautiful LAN 787-9 as we approach the gate.

photo IMG_5723

photo IMG_5724

As I came down the escalator to the gate area, I could see it was a mess in the gate area.

photo IMG_5725

It was bad. Way worse than the usual U.S. Gate Lice mess–this was the most chaotic boarding I'd even seen. There were 2 very long lines of people lined up in from of 2 agents working at gate podiums. I have no idea what all these people were doing in line, maybe getting rebooked for missed connections. Normally, that should have been done in SCL.

Agents looked stressed out and noone was making any announcements. After about 15 minutes of waiting with no information, announcements are made that boarding will begin shortly. Agents make announcements to make room for boarding as there are still two long lines blocking the way. The announcements are made only in English, and it is obvious that a lot of people don't understand.

photo IMG_5728

When boarding begins with Business class, noone can even get to the front to board. The agents just sit there staring into space. Not without difficulty, we were able to make our way to the front for boarding. We ended up being the first on board, which was nice.

photo IMG_5726

As soon as we step on board, the chaos of the gate area is quickly forgotten. Despite the 2-2-2 configuration not affording direct aisle access to all passengers, the cabin is very chic and modern. The grays and reds go well together with the soft mood lighting.

photo IMG_5729

photo IMG_5730

photo IMG_5731

photo IMG_5732

The cabin and seats are spacious.

photo IMG_5733

photo IMG_5734

The IFE screens are nice and large.

photo IMG_5736

View from my seat

photo IMG_5739

Our neighbor.

photo IMG_5740

As soon as we are settled in, the very friendly FA brings pre-departure drinks. Water and orange juice are the two choices–no champagne, most likely because of the morning hour.

photo IMG_5741

Lovely mood lighting and 787 architectural features.

photo IMG_5742

Menus were already in the seat pocket, but the flight attendant comes to point them out to us in case we hadn't see them.

photo IMG_5747

Let's take a look at the menu.

photo IMG_5743

Two options for main dishes. A charcuterie plate of a plain omelet.

photo IMG_5744

photo IMG_5745

photo IMG_5746

Seat controls

photo IMG_5748

The armrest can come up to create a privacy partition.

photo IMG_5751

The remote control for the IFE is under the armrest along with a universal power outlet and USB port.

photo IMG_5753

photo IMG_5755

Noise cancelling headphones

photo IMG_5756

Window glass controls - unique feature to the 787

photo IMG_5749

Difference between the darkest and lightest setting. The 3 windows in each row are linked so that pressing the button on one of the windows darkens all three.

photo IMG_5750

As boarding continues, Flight Attendants passed out amenity kits. These were very simple kits–I'm guessing these are for short/medium-haul.

photo IMG_5757

photo IMG_5758

photo IMG_5759

photo IMG_5760

Boarding of Economy seemed to take forever. We had already been onboard for almost half an hour and boarding was still in full swing.

photo IMG_5761

The door was finally closed at 0850.

photo IMG_5762

And we pushed back a few minutes later. Announcements on board were made in English and Spanish. The Captain apologized for the delay, but didn't go into detail about the causes.

photo IMG_5763

The Safety video plays during taxi

photo IMG_5764

We finally took off at at 0915

photo IMG_5775

Auckland CBD in the distance

photo IMG_5777

Some nice scenery on the climb out.

photo IMG_5778

photo IMG_5779

photo IMG_5780

photo IMG_5781

photo IMG_5782

The mood lighting is turned on a few minutes after takeoff. It looks really good IMO.

photo IMG_5783

Quick visit to the restroom. Nothing terribly fancy, but some decent products. Overall, the space isn't as large as I was expecting.

photo IMG_3692

Breakfast was served about a half hour into the flight. There is a hot option and a cold plate, as we saw earlier. Neither one sounded terribly appetizing, but I went for the "plain" omelette. And plain it was! It had no flavor, not even a little bit of salt. I guess that's what the salt and pepper shakers are for, but still, super bland. I would have thought a South American airline would have served something with a little more taste, and spice. The omelette wasn't the only bland item–basically everything on the main dish had no flavor. The Rösti potatoes tasted like watery grits–not crispy as they should have been. And the tomatoes had no seasoning. The croissant, fruit, and pound cake were fine.

photo IMG_5787

The saving grace was the Louis Roederer Brut champagne.

photo IMG_5788

The FAs came regularly to check on drinks and refill champagne.

After the meal, I watched a movie and stretched out.

photo IMG_5785

photo IMG_5789

The seat is great in full-flat position, and it's reasonably easy, if you're in the window seat, to climb over the aisle passenger when in bed mode, as the seat in full-flat mode is low to the ground.

Business cabin, mid flight, with all the windows darkened

photo IMG_3693

Before we know it, we were over Sydney and it was time to land.

photo IMG_5790

The cabin is prepared for landing.

photo IMG_5791

In previous reports, I had mentioned that it was cloudy and rainy every time I land in Sydney. I wasn't kidding…this time is no exception.

photo IMG_5792

photo IMG_5793

photo IMG_5796

Nice diversity of traffic on landing.

photo IMG_5798

photo IMG_5802

Qantas A333

photo IMG_5803

photo IMG_5804

We pass the SQ A380 again to our left.

photo IMG_5806

Lineup of Cathay and Qantas tails

photo IMG_5809

Emirates 77W

photo IMG_5810

We park next to Qantas B744 VH-OEJ "Wunala" in special Socceroos livery.

photo IMG_5811

photo IMG_5813

Last view of the cabin

photo IMG_5814

This report ends here. See you soon for the next segment of the BA 5th Freedom flight from Sydney to Singapore.

Thanks for reading!

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Tourism Bonus: New Zealand North Island

After bonus pics of the South Island in the last report, here are some pics from my short few days on the North Island.

Auckland

Mount Eden, a dormant volcano 4km south of the Auckland CBD

photo IMG_5525

The crater

photo IMG_5529

photo IMG_5533

Another volcano across the bay

photo IMG_5530

Auckland Sky Tower, the tallest man-made structure in the Southern Hemisphere.

photo IMG_5534

photo IMG_5535

photo IMG_5536

photo IMG_5540

Auckland Harbour

photo IMG_5543

Hobbiton Movie Set near Matamata, Waikato

While most of the outdoor scenes in the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit trilogies were filmed in the majestic scenery of the South Island, the setting for Hobbiton, and the Shire is the rolling hills of the North Island.

photo IMG_5547

photo IMG_5669

photo IMG_5674

photo IMG_5681

Rotorua

Rotorua is the capital of New Zealand's Maori culture, as well as being famous for its geothermal hot springs.

photo IMG_5682

photo IMG_5684

photo IMG_5694

Private lakefront geothermal pool at Polynesian Spa. So relaxing.

photo IMG_5695

photo IMG_5696

Verdict

LAN Airlines

TOTAL 8.5/10

Qantas First class lounge

Comfort 8.5
TOTAL 8.5/10

Auckland - AKL

TOTAL 8.9/10

Sydney - SYD

TOTAL 8.6/10

Conclusion

A great first experience on the Dreamliner. The LAN 787-9 Business cabin is beautiful. The 2-2-2 configuration is not ideal if travelling alone, but it's perfect for couples. The seats are very comfortable and wide, giving a feeling of open spaciousness due to the lack of high walls. The crew was attentive, professional, and did a great job but were not overly chatty. The IFE was pefect, huge screens and a great selection of entertainment. The meal was the only disappointing part, it was bland and boring. I expected something a little more exciting from a South American carrier. The hour and a half delay didn't have any impact for us, but it caused a lot of chaos at the gate.