Flight-Report

Flight SU5623
Seat 15F
Take-off 26 Oct 14, 07:50
Arrival at 26 Oct 14, 09:05
SU   #97 out of 128 Airlines A minimum of 20 Flight-Reports is required in order to appear in the rankings. 93 reviews
Saiesh
Published on 28th January 2017
Hello, readers, I'm back with another Flight-Report
This time it takes place on a 737-200 bound for Khabarovsk (KHV) from Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk (UUS). This is one of the few 737-200 Reports on this website so I hope you enjoy this rarity!

Aircraft info: RA-73003 (737-200adv)
First Flight: 1969
Route: UUS-KHV

I have arrived at the airport for the 7:50 flight to Khabarovsk
photo 1

My flight will be codeshared by Aeroflot (SU) but operated by Aurora (HZ)
photo 3

Climbing up a short flight of stairs to access the departure hall
photo 4

The sky is still slightly dark outside and many of the shops inside the airport are closed
photo 5photo 6

I love it how there are pictures displayed to show the uniqueness of the airport.
Believe it or not: This airport is approximately 70 years old!
photo 7

Waiting for my flight.. pray that there are no delays today!
photo 8photo 10

The branding strategy and design of the Airline Aurora is something which pleases me
photo 11

The boarding process has begun, we have to board a bus to reach the aircraft
photo 15

The interior is in good shape and in full glory for this aircraft considering that she is well over 40 years of age!

Reasonable amount of legroom for a flight with a duration of just 1-hour
photo 17r1c

The sound of the non-hushkitted JT8Ds was music to my ears as we started up, taxied and took to the skies on the last 737-200 Russia
photo 18photo 19

Satisfying view of the sunrise over the Straits of Tartary
photo 21

The food served on this flight was reasonable and appetizing
photo 44photo 47

Exploring the cabin, along with the ritual of visiting the lavatories and galley

We initiated our rather quick descent into Khabarovsk
photo 57

The engines idled as we floated over the runway and came in for a smooth landing accompanied with the loud reverse thrust
photo 59

Taxiing to stand (no jetbridges at this airport)
photo 61

As we come to a halt, everyone stands up and starts to take their bags out. I just waited and enjoyed the thrill of being in an ancient 737-200

Goodbye RA73003!
photo 66

Verdict

Aeroflot

6.5/10

Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk - UUS

4.9/10

Khabarovsk - KHV

4.8/10

Conclusion

This flight was by far the most unique, thrilling and enjoyable out of every single flight I've been on. The departure and arrival were punctual despite Aeroflot (Aurora) being well known for delays. The crew wasn't too keen with me taking photos but they were able to understand my urge. Overall, I enjoyed this flight and I look forward to flying more with this airline. Strongly recommend it!

Yoke 394 Comments

Holy moly, that's quite a jewel of a report! Enjoyed every single part of it, thank you.

marathon GOLD 9266 Comments

I can understand the thrill of boarding and flying in this vintage aircraft.
    Thanks for sharing this flight with us !

Shisdu SILVER 648 Comments

Fascinating. My first flight ever was on a 737-200, so I read your report with much interest.

This particular "chanchito" (piggy), as 737-200s used to be called in my country because they have a short and fat body, has sure had an interesting life. I can see the word DELTA somewhere, and most interestingly, I can read some words in Spanish above the water tap in the restroom: Llamada sobrecargo (FA call) and... Hojas de afeitar usadas (Used blades)!!! They had a special container for used razor blades! They didn't even have disposable shaving machines in those years!

I read on aviation-safety.net that RA-73003 already had an incident in 2014 due to material fatigue. Hope it will will stay in one piece until the end of its service life!

Thanks a lot for sharing!