Review of Singapore Airlines flight Auckland Singapore in Economy

Flight SQ286
Take-off 10 Dec 14, 13:30
Arrival at 10 Dec 14, 19:00
SQ   #2 out of 124 Airlines A minimum of 20 Flight-Reports is required in order to appear in the rankings. 525 reviews
CAFlyer787
By 1926
Published on 29th December 2017
Overview
Having flown with Singapore Airlines a numerous amount of times, I thought I'd decide to do a report on one of their long-haul flights from Auckland, New Zealand to Singapore. However, this is my first flight on this route utilizing the Airbus A380-800 instead of the B777-300ER.

Check-In
As this was a full flight, and on the A380, it was no surprise that the queue was huge! However, despite the long line, the check-in process was smooth and efficient.

Our aircraft for the long-haul flight
photo 10624770_10152918877526252_4263086453587519534_nphoto img_2612

Boarding
Boarding was done by Suites, Business Class and elite/priority passengers, along with people needing special assistance and then Economy Class passengers. There were two different jetways for Economy, one was for passengers seated in the Main Deck, the other for the Upper Deck.

I specifically chose the Upper Deck section of Economy Class as the cabin feels more spacious, with a 2-4-2 seating configuration as opposed to 3-4-3 downstairs.

Departure
Pushback was a few minutes behind schedule, however taxiing wasn't long and there wasn't too much of a wait before it was our turn to take off.

MH 777 to KUL

NZ 787-9

NZ 767-300ER

Climb out from AKL

Flight Route and Information

After-Takeoff Service (Peanuts, 7UP and Chips)

Flight Attendants during meal service
photo img_2639photo img_2646

Meal Service
There was an option of either fried fish (Asian) or stewed beef (International). I chose the Asian option.

Krisworld IFE

The selection of movies, TV shows and music was more than enough to suffice this long flight. However, I caught up on some sleep part-way through some films.

About halfway through the flight, the crew passed through the cabin offering Light Bites snacks and drinks. I opted for apple juice, chips and a brownie.
photo img_2664photo img_2665

Cabin crew kept checking every 30 minutes for anyone needing anything

Some cabin shots

Approximately two hours before descent into Singapore, the crew offered hot towels to passengers before starting the next meal service

By the time the crew got to my row, there was only the Western option left as the Asian option ran out.

Grilled chicken with wedges and seasonal vegetables
Although the presentation of the main course won't win any awards, the taste of the meal in general was excellent.

Descent and Arrival

It was almost getting dark when we initiated our descent into Singapore

Spotting another SQ A380 as we taxi to the gate
photo img_2715photo img_2716

Parked next to an SQ 777

It was an excellent flight onboard Singapore Airlines!

Suites Visit
During the flight, I asked one of the stewardesses if I could visit the Suites after landing in Singapore. She happily agreed and so here are a few pics

You can find my next flight onto Kuala Lumpur here: SQ 118 (Singapore to Kuala Lumpur)

Verdict

Singapore Airlines

8.3/10
Entertainment8.5

Auckland - AKL

8.8/10

Singapore - SIN

9.1/10

Conclusion

Overall, the flight was excellent. Singapore Airlines did not disappoint me!

Meals were tasty and the portions are of great size as well. During the flight, I requested for drinks and they were delivered to me promptly.

Cabin Crew were excellent as well. During times when the crew aren't busy, I had a lovely chat with one of the stewardesses about the airline and its future routes and services. It was really nice to have a crew interact with passengers, even when not doing meal service.

IFE content was good. I managed to go through 3 movies and listen to a couple of albums on the audio channel. However, I didn't quite finish one movie as there was only less than an hour left until arrival into Singapore.

I'm looking forward to boarding another long-haul SQ flight soon.

Information on the route Auckland (AKL) Singapore (SIN)