Flight-Report

Seat 33K
Aircraft Boeing 777-200ER
Take-off 23 Jan 14, 10:15
Arrival at 24 Jan 14, 00:45
SQ   #2 out of 128 Airlines A minimum of 20 Flight-Reports is required in order to appear in the rankings. 524 reviews
CAFlyer787
Published on 31st December 2017

Singapore Changi Airport

After arriving from Manila, it was time to continue onto the next sector to Auckland, NZ. At the time of booking, I was originally going to take the SQ285 flight on the newer B777-300ER, however it was fully booked in Economy Class. Therefore, I booked the morning flight instead.

You can find my flight from Manila to Singapore here: SQ921 (Manila to Singapore)

Departure
The flight was originally scheduled to depart at 8:50AM, however there was a delay announced and that departure was re-timed to 9:35AM
photo 54

I decided to do a bit of plane spotting to pass the time
photo 53

SQ B777-300 in the distance
photo 52

SQ A330-300
photo 51

The aircraft that will be used for the flight to Auckland, registration 9V-SVH
photo 56

Onboard SQ281 (SIN-AKL)

Unlike the SQ285 night flight, this aircraft does not feature the new Economy Class. However, this particular seat felt more comfortable as there was not only a recline button, but also a lumbar support button that can be adjusted to your preferences.
photo 22

Engine View
photo 50

Although pushback was on-time, the taxi to the runway took almost 30 minutes due to congestion around Changi Airport. Looking from out the window, there were more than 7 planes ahead of our flight waiting for takeoff. Eventually, we were on the way to Auckland.
photo 49

Meal Service
Soon after the seatbelt sign was turned off, the flight attendants began preparations for breakfast service. The Asian Option was Rice Vermicelli while the International Option was Omelette with potatoes and sausage.

International Selection
photo 45
Overall, a tasty meal.

KrisWorld IFE
The IFE system was gate-to-gate, however there was no sound coming from the headsets. At first, I thought my headset was broken, but other passengers around me noticed the same thing with theirs. Eventually, the crew turned off the IFE during the lengthy taxi and managed to successfully re-activate it when the seatbelt was turned off after takeoff.

6.5 inch screen with old generation KrisWorld
photo 44photo 48

IFE content was good, though not as extensive as on the newer Y class.

Cabin Crew
The cabin crew were professional and friendly. However, one of my requests for a drink was somewhat forgotten and I had to ask again after about 15 minutes. Aside from that minor inconvenience, the crew attended to passengers' needs promptly and efficiently. They offered water and juice every 25 minutes and kept scanning the cabin frequently for anyone needing anything.
photo 31photo 32

Before Touch-Down
It was starting to get dark as we get closer to Auckland.
photo 19photo 20

Exiting Australia
photo 23

Flight Information
photo 24photo 25

A couple of hours before landing, the cabin crew served another meal
photo 13photo 14

For the second meal service, there was an choice of either pork with rice or fish fillet with potatoes

Asian Option
photo 15

International Option
photo 16

Ice Cream was served after the meal
photo 12

Descent and Arrival
It was already past midnight local time when we began our descent into AKL International.

Parked at gate at 12:45AM
photo 2

Verdict

Singapore Airlines

7.8/10
In-flight Entertainment7.0

Singapore - SIN

8.5/10

Auckland - AKL

7.4/10

Conclusion

Seat comfort was actually better than the new Economy Class, I didn't have much problems with sleep for parts of the flight.

IFE selection is pretty good. However, it was a little inconvenient that the crew shut it off during the long taxi and didn't turn it back on until after takeoff. I didn't really mind too much though as there was no sound coming from the IFE, which makes sense to restart it. The size of the screen was a little small and the quality is poor as well.

Cabin Service was very good. Besides the fact that one of the crew members forgot my request for apple juice, they were all proactive, friendly and efficient throughout the flight.

Meals were also good, nothing much to complain about. I didn't see the crew come around with Light Bites but that was maybe because I was asleep when that happened.

Overall, a nice flight onboard Singapore Airlines. It's a little sad that they discontinued this particular flight and replaced it with Air New Zealand because of their alliance. However, I do hope to fly NZ on this route and see how their product compares to SQ when I have the opportunity to.

Information on the route Singapore (SIN) Auckland (AKL)