Review of ANA flight Taipei City Tokyo in Economy

Flight NH854
Seat 33K
Take-off 07 Jan 18, 16:50
Arrival at 07 Jan 18, 20:40
NH   #21 out of 117 Airlines A minimum of 20 Flight-Reports is required in order to appear in the rankings. 144 reviews
Zeref777X
Published on 8th January 2018
Welcome back. This time I will finish off my trip to Taipei and return to Los Angeles. Also, I took more pictures!

My Trip:
1. December 25, 2017: NH5 Los Angeles to Tokyo Narita [https://flight-report.com/en/report/29246/ANA-NH5-Los-Angeles-LAX-Tokyo-NRT]
2. December 26, 2017: NH823 Tokyo Narita to Taipei Taoyuan [https://flight-report.com/en/report/29268/ANA-NH823-Tokyo-NRT-Taipei-TPE]
3. January 07, 2018: NH 854 Taipei Songshan to Tokyo Haneda [You Are Here!]
4. January 07, 2018: NH 106 Tokyo Haneda to Los Angeles [TBA]

Background
photo dsc_0082
Taipei Songshan Airport
Taiwan has 3 major airports: Taoyuan Airport (TPE), Taipei Songshan Airport (TSA), and Kaoshiung Airport (KHH). If you are coming from North America or Europe nonstop, most likely you are going through Taoyuan Airport. Taipei Songshan Airport is a really small airport, located very close to downtown Taipei. Noise and air pollution is a big issue, so the furthest this airport could take you nonstop is Japan or China. Of course being in downtown Taipei, it is really convenient, and since it's small, immigration and security is really quick, as well as getting your baggage.

Check In
photo dsc_0089
Today's Departure (As you can see, not a lot of planes)
photo dsc_0084
I am getting really conflicting answers about paid upgrades… Tell me in the comments if you think upgrading to business class is worth it for only 3 hours.
There were no lines for check in. I personally online checked in, but there was really no need to. Also, the staff wasn't strict on bag weight or carry on, or anything. Make sure you look to see if your bag passes x-ray. The check happens right after your bag leaves the counter.
photo dsc_0092
Some nice shops in the airport, but overall pretty boring cause I go here so often, and there are limited shops. Also, the restaurants here are overpriced. Best take the MRT to Taipei and find something to eat.
photo dsc_0090
EVA Air A330-300 to Tokyo Haneda
photo p_20160726_153008
This was an ANA 787-8 I took 2 years ago with the special livery.
Any ANA flights involving Tokyo Haneda or Taipei Songshan are usually guaranteed to be on time, and arrive early at the arriving airport.

In Flight
photo dsc_0098
I love the windows on the 787-8, it's so big. However, it gets pretty hot especially during the summer and long distance.
photo dsc_0094
Leg Room was really good, which ANA boasts 34 inches. However, as all major carriers except Japan Airlines do, it's a 3-3-3 seating abreast. In the back it is a 2-3-2 seating abreast, which was where I was sitting. There is sort of a footrest, which is pretty much a net under the seat. I don't really like it, it's not comfortable for me. Also the seats seam sort of short for me.photo dsc_0096
It's a slim-type seat. Doesn't exactly have the best table out there. However the IFE system was pretty new and responsive. Since it was the new year, there wasn't really any good movies on there. There was a Japanese animation movie I ended up watching.
photo dsc_0099
Magazine, Duty Free, etc.
photo dsc_0100
Menu, Barf Bag, Headphone, etc. (I'll probably post this on every post just for the audience)
photo dsc_0103
Takeoff (Terrible weather, turns out the whole flight was practically turbulence)
photo dsc_0106
Menu
photo untitled
Japanese Meal: Simmered Pork and Daikon Radish in Soy-Based Sauce
Yes, I forgot to take a picture of my meal… Anyway it looks like that, and it was tasty as always.
No ice cream nor bottled water. Don't expect any on short haul flights. Also get the Aromatic Kabosu as the drink, it's really good.

Landing
Landing was smooth, and the weather was nice in Tokyo. Too bad I was only transiting. At the same time, I do go through this airport pretty often.
photo dsc_0118
Star Wars Jet ^-^
We ended up at the gate 10 minutes early. After, we went through Japanese security screening through transit. There was no one transiting, so it was really empty. For those wondering about clearing immigration, you can clear it within 10 minutes, it's really fast. Onto my next connecting flight (And more food to binge, it's Japan!)

Verdict

ANA

9.3/10
Entertainment8.5

Taipei City - TSA

9.4/10

Tokyo - HND

10.0/10

Conclusion

I enjoyed ANA, and I usually take this route, so I know what to expect, and it never fails me. For those wondering about the high rating for both airports, I like smaller airports, they're more efficient. As for Haneda Airport, it's a 5 star Airport, what do you expect? As always, please leave a comment on any questions I did not cover (I'm pretty sure there is a lot). Also, if you are going from Tokyo to Taipei, sit on the right side of the plane, you can see Mt. Fuji.

NGO85 1627 Comments

Thanks for sharing this FR.

The meals look better than the ones I've seen on TPE-NGO with CX on a couple trips.

On NH, a $150 upgrade is worth it for this flight provided it gives lounge access in HND. Also, if it is international configuration B787 is worth it (based on the seat pitch you have, you had an international configuration plane, not one of those cramped domestic ones), domestic/regional B787 might not be worth it for comfort. It's also whether that is within your budgetary allowance and the mileage bonus is advantageous.

Zeref777X AUTHOR 4 Comments

Thanks for reading this FR.
    While it may give lounge access in HND, I often buy omiyage and eat here, so since I only had a 2 hour layover, I thought it wasn't worth it. The business class was the cradle version, not the 1-2-1 seating abreast configuration with aisle access. So I was debating whether faster baggage delivery at LAX, lounge access at TSA, and better food on the airplane was worth the price. Also, I was in the back of the plane, so I had extra space as it turns from a 3-3-3 to 2-3-2. However, this was my only chance to go on business class since I never went on it before, and I kinda blew it.