- We had a small 45 minute delay due to a last minute aircraft swap. Our original neo(N402AN) was supposed to come from DFW but ended up having a 3 hour delay over there, presumably due to mechanical issues(or mechanics lawsuit).
- This led to our flight getting switched to the inbound MCO-PHX neo, which resulted in the small delay.
- The first class seats are arranged in a 2-2 configuration, with about 37 inches of pitch at every seat.
- As many know, AA opted for tablet holders instead of seatback IFE… I didn't really use it on this flight as I fell asleep after meal service.
- We were given a pre-departure beverage of choice.
- REALLY funny thing that kind of surprised me - when starting the safety announcement, one of the FAs announced, "Please direct your attention to the monitors for our safety video". Then a few seconds after realizing, she said to herself, "oops, I forgot we don't have TVs on this plane". Thanks AA.
- The takeoff really surprised me. The new engines are really quiet compared to the older generations. Takeoff's in the video.
- Meal service was served 30 minutes after takeoff. It started with some nuts and a hot towel.
- Meal choice was between a beef short rib or southwest pasta. I chose the rib.
- This came with a salad and some sort of egg salad. The rib was accompanied by some broccolini and mashed potatoes.
- I've had AA's short rib twice before. One on a 777-300 from JFK-LHR in J(you can check it out in the links below) and one time in AA's 787-9 in J from LAX-HND this past month(upcoming trip report for that as well).
- Out of the three, this was by far probably the BEST airplane meal I've had. The rib was outstanding and juicy. Full meal is in the video.
- After that meal was cleared, we were offered ice cream for desert. Tasted great as always.
- And, as noted in the title, I noticed WiFi was free for everyone for some reason. Other passengers were able to connect without paying. This was very likely a mistake on AA's part. Except… I got free WiFi on my way back from ANC-PHX in Economy. Anyone know what happened? However, it was extremely slow for ViaSat…
- Slept for about 3 hours, then woke up over Alaska. Amazing views of the snow-capped mountains.
- Really interesting thing that I never knew - as we went north, it got brighter. When we landed in ANC, it was already brighter than Phoenix. Our landing time was around 12:30 a.m. and it wasn't pitch-black at all.
Overall, this was an outstanding flight, given the free WiFi and amazing meal.
The seat was decently comfortable but still spacious given AA's reduction in legroom.
I personally don't support AA's move in removing IFEs, and tablet holders are only a slight upgrade from having to hold your device.
Quick note: Am I allowed to upload just a video, text, and a few pics? I don't see any rules regarding trip reports so I'm a bit confused. Thanks.