Review of American Airlines flight Phoenix Anchorage in First

Seat 2F
Aircraft Airbus A321neo
Take-off 22 Jun 19, 19:40
Arrival at 23 Jun 19, 00:00
AA   #77 out of 131 Airlines A minimum of 20 Flight-Reports is required in order to appear in the rankings. 402 reviews
Ishrion
Published on 20th July 2019

- We had a small 45 minute delay due to a last minute aircraft swap. Our original neo(N402AN) was supposed to come from DFW but ended up having a 3 hour delay over there, presumably due to mechanical issues(or mechanics lawsuit).

- This led to our flight getting switched to the inbound MCO-PHX neo, which resulted in the small delay.

- The first class seats are arranged in a 2-2 configuration, with about 37 inches of pitch at every seat.

photo image0

- As many know, AA opted for tablet holders instead of seatback IFE… I didn't really use it on this flight as I fell asleep after meal service.

- We were given a pre-departure beverage of choice.

- REALLY funny thing that kind of surprised me - when starting the safety announcement, one of the FAs announced, "Please direct your attention to the monitors for our safety video". Then a few seconds after realizing, she said to herself, "oops, I forgot we don't have TVs on this plane". Thanks AA.

- The takeoff really surprised me. The new engines are really quiet compared to the older generations. Takeoff's in the video.

- Meal service was served 30 minutes after takeoff. It started with some nuts and a hot towel.

- Meal choice was between a beef short rib or southwest pasta. I chose the rib.

- This came with a salad and some sort of egg salad. The rib was accompanied by some broccolini and mashed potatoes.

- I've had AA's short rib twice before. One on a 777-300 from JFK-LHR in J(you can check it out in the links below) and one time in AA's 787-9 in J from LAX-HND this past month(upcoming trip report for that as well).

- Out of the three, this was by far probably the BEST airplane meal I've had. The rib was outstanding and juicy. Full meal is in the video.

- After that meal was cleared, we were offered ice cream for desert. Tasted great as always.

- And, as noted in the title, I noticed WiFi was free for everyone for some reason. Other passengers were able to connect without paying. This was very likely a mistake on AA's part. Except… I got free WiFi on my way back from ANC-PHX in Economy. Anyone know what happened? However, it was extremely slow for ViaSat…

- Slept for about 3 hours, then woke up over Alaska. Amazing views of the snow-capped mountains.

- Really interesting thing that I never knew - as we went north, it got brighter. When we landed in ANC, it was already brighter than Phoenix. Our landing time was around 12:30 a.m. and it wasn't pitch-black at all.

Verdict

American Airlines

7.9/10

Phoenix - PHX

7.5/10

Anchorage - ANC

7.9/10

Conclusion

Overall, this was an outstanding flight, given the free WiFi and amazing meal.
The seat was decently comfortable but still spacious given AA's reduction in legroom.
I personally don't support AA's move in removing IFEs, and tablet holders are only a slight upgrade from having to hold your device.

Quick note: Am I allowed to upload just a video, text, and a few pics? I don't see any rules regarding trip reports so I'm a bit confused. Thanks.

KévinDC TEAM GOLD 4837 Comments

Hi there, welcome to the site! To answer your question, no, you can't post just a video (it's in the FAQs: https://flight-report.com/en/faq/). So if you can just go ahead and add some text to the report to accompany the pics and video, you'll be all set.

Nice video report btw--I haven't seen many trip reports on the new AA 321neo. Like with the 737MAX and Oasis cabins, I'm really not a fan of the lack of a divider wall between F and Y.

I couldn't agree more! A brand new plane and it feels like a step backwards...again, like the MAX.

As an AA frequent flyer, AA used to feel so much more premium. and the lack on IFE, tighter pitch, and lack of divider wall on new planes just make AA feel cheap like a glorified LCC.

Thanks for sharing!

707Bob 7 Comments

Regarding the WiFi. It was the same for me when I flew first class last October from LA to Miami with AA. I paid for fifteen minutes or so, but ended up with having it for the whole five hour flight.