Review of CSA flight Prague Paris in Economy

Seat 24F
Aircraft Airbus A319
Take-off 23 Nov 16, 12:25
Arrival at 23 Nov 16, 12:35
OK   #51 out of 111 Airlines A minimum of 20 Flight-Reports is required in order to appear in the rankings. 32 reviews
jetsetpanda
Published on 8th January 2017
Welcome to this segment which should be titled "A Business class experience at a fraction of the cost."

Here is a recap of my itinerary:

SFO-LHR on BA Y - click here.
LHR-ARN on BA Y - click here.
ARN-PRG on SK Y - click here.
PRG-CDG on OK Y - you are here.
CDG-HND on JL F - click here.
HND-PEK on JL J - click here.
PEK-SFO on UA Y - click here.

This was my first time in PRG and it was a charming and beautiful revelation. I enjoyed exploring this city and will share some impressions in the bonus at the end in addition to my stay at the Intercontinental hotel and the apartment that I rented in Josefov. in the meantime let's get back to the actual trip report.

The anticipation of flying a new airline (in this case CSA) is always a welcome experience worth getting excited about for every aviation geek. As I said in the beginning, this trip was very similar to J intra-European experience minus the cost. This particular segment cost me USD 44.40 (EUR 42.15) and I also pre-ordered a business class meal for USD 8.92 (EUR 8.47). I used my AZ's Freccia Alata Plus level to get priority check-in, boarding and lounge access at PRG. The only disappointment was the inability to pre-reserve a seat, even for elite Skyteam members. I played the seat lottery and waited until 24 hrs before dept. to select a window seat in the last row hoping that the flight would not be full.

I arrived at the OK counter and used the designated Skypriority line. Check-in by the smiling agent was smooth and courteous. I went through security in a breeze and headed to the Erste Lounge. PRG airport has an utilitarian feel lacking charm and sometimes it reminded me of a warehouse setting.

photo ok 760 prg-cdg 1 - copyphoto ok 760 prg-cdg 2 - copy

After security I went to the Erste lounge.

photo ok 760 prg-cdg 3 - copyphoto ok 760 prg-cdg 4 - copy

Erste lounge.

I thought that it was odd that OK did not have its own lounge at its hub and instead it refers its passengers to one that is managed by a third party entity. I presented my boarding pass along with AZ Skyteam Elite card and was welcomed inside. The club has two sections but the right side was less crowded. In addition there were WC's right after the reception area.

Entrance.

photo erste lounge  prg 1 - copy

Reception.

photo erste lounge  prg 12 - copy

Once I stepped inside I felt that the silver hanging lights and see-through "bead curtains" gave this place a 70's disco era ambiance. It was a one of a kind type of lounge for sure.

The buffet area had pastries, cookies, crisps, and pretzel sticks. The hot items consisted of chicken and pork schnitzels, pasta primavera and beef broth. Refrigerators were stocked with crudites and a variety of open faced sandwiches.

Cold items.

My snacks.

photo erste lounge  prg 18 - copy

There was also a kid's corner inside the lounge.

photo erste lounge  prg 21 - copy

I left for the lounge as soon as the gate was assigned for my flight.

photo ok 760 prg-cdg 7 - copy

My plane at the gate.

photo ok 760 prg-cdg 5 - copy

Eventually the crew arrived and boarded the airplane.

photo ok 760 prg-cdg 8 - copyphoto ok 760 prg-cdg 10 - copy

Around 50 min. before dept. the gate agents arrived and prepared the gate for boarding. Wheelchair passengers were given priority folowed by J and Skyteam Elite passengers.

A FA was positioned at the door welcoming passengers as they entered. I made my way to the back where another FA was stationed. I said "hello" and she replied back, but did not seem very engaging.

Cabin.

photo ok 760 prg-cdg 13 - copy

My seat.

photo ok 760 prg-cdg 12 - copy

Contents of seat pocket.

photo ok 760 prg-cdg 16 - copyphoto ok 760 prg-cdg 17 - copy

View from across.

photo ok 760 prg-cdg 14 - copy

After everyone boarded, my gamble paid off and I won the seat lottery with the whole row to myself. Another passenger eventually moved to the row across and took the other set of seats for himself. i raised the armrests and got pretty comfortable.

photo ok 760 prg-cdg 21 - copy

A couple of views from my window seat.

photo ok 760 prg-cdg 25 - copyphoto ok 760 prg-cdg 20 - copy

Plane spotting during taxiing.

photo ok 760 prg-cdg 24 - copy

David & Goliath.

Take off on a foggy day. Bye PRG.

photo ok 760 prg-cdg 35 - copy

Once we reached cruising altitude, the service began quickly. One of the FA's in the back galley handed me my pre-ordered meal. I was only able to order the cold meal option because my flight was under 3 hrs. It consisted of cold cuts, sliced cheese, garnishes, two pieces of bread and a tiramisu cake. I saw a few people buy the baguette sandwich which seemed like a good value because it was big.

photo ok 760 prg-cdg 36 - copy

Interesting tray table design.

photo ok 760 prg-cdg 38 - copy

Pre-ordered J meal.

The rest of the flight was uneventful and soon we were landing in CDG. I was supposed to have 3 drinks with the pre-ordered meal but I never requested anything else besides the hot tea and the FA's never asked. During the descent one of the FA's asked me to lower the armrests for the row in preparation for landing.

Taxiing to the gate.

photo ok 760 prg-cdg 65 - copyphoto ok 760 prg-cdg 67 - copy

A shot of my plane parked at the gate.

photo ok 760 prg-cdg 70 - copy

***BONUS***

IC Prague.

I met my family at the Intercontinental hotel where for the first 24 hrs I just stayed put and had all my meals at the Club lounge. It was raining when I arrived and I needed time to recuperate from the jet lag.

Entrance & lobby.

photo ic prague 16photo ic prague 17

Club Lounge.

Golem.

photo ic club prg 29 - copy

Business Center & Dining area.

photo ic club prg 26 - copyphoto ic club prg 27 - copy

Interior.

photo ic club prg 34 - copyphoto ic club prg 25 - copy

Buffet.

Zatecka No 14 Apartments.

Very nice and big apartments located in Josefov. I loved the convenience of having a kitchen and washer/dryer. The apartment had 3 bedrooms and 2 WC's.

photo zatecka 14 4 - copyphoto zatecka 14 1 - copy

Old Town.

Charles Bridge.

Prague Castle.

Lokal restaurant

Hearty lunch with sausage appetizers, friend cheese, beef shin goulash and potato dumplings.

U Parlamentu restaurant.

Pancake stuffed with spinach covered with cheese appetizer, roast pork knuckle, roast duck with bread & potato dumplings and sauerkraut.

Verdict

CSA

8.1/10

Prague - PRG

8.4/10

Paris - CDG

8.6/10

Conclusion

PRG is not that big and it felt very functional. The Erste lounge did its job and it was a nice place to relax before the flight. The decor had a retro feel to it that I found unique. Catering is basic but the attempt to offer a few hot dishes is appreciated.

I was glad that I had a chance to fly a new airline and CSA proved to be a decent carrier. The ability to pre-order a premium meal was a big plus and the price was quite reasonable. For a cold meal the quality was fine. I did not find the crew overly friendly or very proactive but they did their job efficiently. It was a luxury to get a whole row for myself and by taking advantage of the Skyteam Plus benefits I had a very close intra-European J experience on this particular segment. A minor annoyance is the lack of free seat assignment for other Skyteam elite members.

FFlyerCDG 1075 Comments

Thanks a lot for this report.

Nothing to write home about it but this flight did perfectly the job for 42€ !

If needed, this is the perfect demonstration that legacy airlines can make the choice of a very limited not to say inexistant inflight service but with the opportunity of a top quality catering for just a few euros...

Again and again I might be the only one but, if I ever have to fly CDG/PRG, I'll definitely make the choice of OK compare to AF and skip the complimentary but a bit boring sandwich vs a quite attracting, even cold, meal for 8€ :-)

BTW... It's location and the view over the old city from the rooftop restaurant on the 9th floor make the Intercontinental one of the best hotels where to stay in PRG but, when it comes to the outside of the building and the furniture in the rooms it seems nothing changed since my first visite in... 1979 :-)))

Hi Joël.

I'm sure you are not the only one who would prefer OK over AF for the stated reasons. For those frequent flyers with elite status, most of the benefits of premium travel are already attained - priority check-in, boarding, lounge access (except for U.S. based members flying domestic), free checked bags and better seats with more legroom.

Catering is still a differentiator but the difference gap closes a bit more when airlines start to offer premium meals in the back, even if this is paid. I personally wish more carriers would give this option.

Thank you for commenting.

jetsetpanda AUTHOR 2134 Comments

BTW, thanks for the tip about the IC PRG. I agree that the hotel has a "classic" exterior and decor and reminds you of another era. ;)

757Fan 321 Comments

Another great report of your travels! Prague looks beautiful, and what a great looking breakfast spread at the Intercontinental Hotel! (I'm reading this before breakfast so perhaps it's making me extra hungry :)

It looks like you had a nice flight with CSA; I forgot they were a SkyTeam Partner. That's great that you were able to order a J class meal.

Looking forward to your next segment!

Hi Matthew.

Thanks for your visit. I appreciated the option to pay for a premium meal with OK and I find their B.O.B. prices to be very reasonable as well.

The next segment will be a long and detailed one. For one I will be flying in one of the best premium cabins in the world and then I will stay in my favorite city - Paris. I have a hard time trying to choose which pics to feature in the bonus. I would share them all, but I don't want to bore people to death.

Thanks for dropping by.

ashleyyau 165 Comments

Thanks for sharing the flight report! Great aerial shots from the plane^^
    As a 3rd party managed lounge, its design looks stylish and IMO the food offerings are nice.
    What a great deal of flight and the J meal^^ I like the option that you can buy the J meal. And the meal looks good given this price (compared with the snacks shops in US airport…)
    Also thanks for the Prague bonus! BTW did you visit the Lennon Wall?
    Look forward to your next report! I am waiting for the JL F and UA Queen :P

Hi Ashley.

Unfortunately I did not get a chance to see the Lennon Wall. Perhaps on a next visit. ;)

I got a nice deal by flying OK and when I booked this ticket it was the cheapest option available.

Thanks for your comments.

KL651 3457 Comments

Thanks for this FR.
    I am once again shocked at how ugly the seats are !
    For 60Eur all in it is indeed a decent experience, however the crew seem to have been quite neutral.

Hi Etienne.

The CSA logo reminds me of Vicks and its association with cough and cold medicine. Anyways the seats might not be the best looking, but they had good cushion and felt comfortable.

I can't complain about the price. As for the crew they did their job in a courteous and efficient way which is all that I ask for. Charm is an extra bonus. At least they were not rude.

Thanks for stopping. by.

Rl 777 672 Comments

Thank you for sharing this FR with us!

Ah Prague, a really nice city to wander around in.

Nice pictures from the lounge.

Great spotting shots at PRG, nice catch of that EK 388!

The "Relax" part with those seat covers are a bit overwhelming IMO.

Great to have those two seats for yourself!

The meal looks good for the price.

Amazing bonus pictures!

Thanks for sharing. Have a good one, see you.

Hi RI 777.

PRG is a lovely city indeed.

"The "Relax" part with those seat covers are a bit overwhelming IMO."
      - Can you imagine if they play the song "Relax Don't Do It" by Frankie Goes to Hollywood during boarding? :P

Thanks for visiting.

NGO85 1581 Comments

Thanks Adan for sharing this FR!

"my first time in PRG”
    - So uncultured ;) PRG is a nice city although a little rough outside of the tourist areas. Your bonus was beautiful and even included some goulash^^

“I also pre-ordered a business class meal for USD 8.92 (EUR 8.47)”
    - Well, that SK sandwich isn’t such a good value in retrospect^^ I’d find this to be light catering for an actual J flight from PRG-CDG, but the value is quite good for the price paid. The food was nicely presented and looked fresh.

“I thought that it was odd that OK did not have its own lounge at its hub”
    - If memory serves me correctly, I don’t think there are any airline run lounges at PRG. JU obviously has the best lounge in the Eastern Europe category, but this lounge isn’t too bad offering several hot buffet items. It’s better than lounges I’ve seen at other airports in this region (SOF, OTP, ZAG). PS: The bead curtains are coming back into style^^

The seats are super busy, I wonder where they found that fabric. Maybe from the same supplier of the bead curtains in the lounge? Definitely no recline in your row, lol^^

That B2 spotting just reinvigorates that unhealthy desire to fly them^^ Did you know B2 just got a new livery? No longer as Soviet looking as the old livery.

Beautiful aerials on arrival into CDG!

Hey Michael.

"Your bonus was beautiful and even included some goulash^^"
      - Glad you enjoyed it. Goulash is such a comfort food, isn't it? ;) Kind of reminds me of Japanese curry with rice and pickles.

"I’d find this to be light catering for an actual J flight from PRG-CDG, but the value is quite good for the price paid. "
      - If you are flying in J, you can't help but feel shortchanged. As a Y pax I got the full value of my money's worth.

"It’s better than lounges I’ve seen at other airports in this region (SOF, OTP, ZAG). PS: The bead curtains are coming back into style^^"
      - I'm not an expert when it comes to that region but I will take your word for it. I'm sure some cats will have fun with the bead curtains. :P

"Definitely no recline in your row, lol^^"
      - Who cares about recline when you can lie flat? ;)

"Did you know B2 just got a new livery? No longer as Soviet looking as the old livery."
      - I didn't know that. You learn a new thing every day.

"The IC could use with a remodel, but the location is excellent and probably much more reasonably priced than the Four Seasons."
      - I can't complain. At the price plus the free upgrade and club access, I can tolerate the "retro" feel of the property. ;)

Thanks for your comments as usual. See you around.