Review of Malaysia Airlines flight Singapore Kuala Lumpur in Business

Flight MH608
Class Business
Take-off 13 Nov 15, 17:25
Arrival at 13 Nov 15, 18:25
MH   #41 out of 132 Airlines A minimum of 20 Flight-Reports is required in order to appear in the rankings. 179 reviews
socalnow
Published on 12th January 2016
Greetings Flight-Report Community. Thanks for stopping by and having a look at this report, the third in the series.

For this report series I will be sharing a delightful and frivolous RTW journey that is highlighted by my first trips on Emirates and Japan Airlines. Spoiler alert: I was positively floored by both experiences.

The reports will be broken down as follows:

Emirates Lounge LAX and EK LAX-DXB (First)http://flight-report.com/en/report-12730.html
Emirates Lounge(s) DXB and EK DXB-SIN (First)http://flight-report.com/fr/report-12807.html
Malaysia Airlines SIN-KUL (Business)(This Report)
Malaysia Airlines Golden Lounge KUL and CX KUL-HKG (Business)http://flight-report.com/en/report-12929.html
Cathay Pacific The Wing and The Pier and CX HKG-HND (First)http://flight-report.com/en/report-12951.html
Japan Airlines First Class Lounge(s) NRT and JL NRT-ORD (First)http://flight-report.com/en/report-13034.html

Here's an image of the entire route courtesy of Great Circle Mapper (gcmap.com)

photo map

I'm picking up the story in Singapore's Changi Airport, one of my favorite places in the world. I'm going to take you on a brief detour to the employee cafeteria at the airport. This is a fantastic place to visit on a stopover for a quasi-hawker center type meal. The prices are reasonable and there is good variety. The cafeteria is landslide in T2 near the parking garage.

Here a few pics of my journey there.

After my cravings for Singapore style flavors were sated I returned through immigration and to the SATS Premier Lounge. This is a terrible lounge. Very crowded, dirty, and with limited amenities. I felt like I walked into a lounge at MNL T1 or CGK.

Quick beer and then off to the gate.

photo 20151113_001909photo 20151113_003431

SATS lounge is on the floor above the koi pond offering a nice view.

photo 20151113_003824

The flight was just about to board so the security line at the gate was minimal.

photo 20151113_004934

I was soon aboard the new-ish looking 737 with the Sky Interior.

photo 20151113_011819photo 20151113_011822

Feline parked next door.

photo 20151113_011830

We were offered pre-departure beverages by the lovely flight attendant. She also asked what we would like to drink once airborne and if we would like to partake in the satay snack. Yes, please!

photo 20151113_012953

Goodbye Changi. This was my first transit in SIN. I prefer to stay longer!

photo 20151113_012503

Terminal layout on takeoff.

A little bit of Changi Village and Palau Ubin.

photo 20151113_014930

The beer I requested and the satay snack. Pretty great to get a hot snack on a 30 minute flight. The beer was Carlsberg, no Tiger or local. Strange.

photo 20151113_015737photo 20151113_015852

On short final to KUL.

photo 20151113_021822

A sign in the KLIA Express station at KUL noting the Hindu festival of Deepavali.

photo 20151113_025021

I boarded the train and was at Sentral in 22 minutes or whatever they advertise. The queue there for a taxi was lengthy but made it to my hotel safely.

Verdict

Malaysia Airlines

8.0/10

SATS Premier Lounge

4.0/10
Comfort4.0

Singapore - SIN

9.0/10

Kuala Lumpur - KUL

7.2/10

Conclusion

Thanks for coming along on this short hop.

The closing of the Golden Lounge at Changi is unfortunate as the contract lounge is not very pleasant.

The flight featured great service, a warm snack, and a moderately comfortable cabin. The seats have a footrest which doesn't seem to serve a purpose.

KUL is a great airport with frequent, fast train service to town.

Thanks for reading and stay tuned for the next installment. Happy flying.

Information on the route Singapore (SIN) Kuala Lumpur (KUL)

NGO85 1622 Comments

Thank you for sharing this FR!

And thanks for the interesting tidbit about the employee cafeteria at SIN!

The SIN-KUL flight is always going to be uneventful. The tray just looks so sad with nothing on it, they should find smaller trays for these snack services that are more appropriately sized. The satays are nice, but BA gave you more substantial catering on LHR-AMS, which is the same distance.

socalnow GOLD AUTHOR 888 Comments

Hello NGO85 and thanks for reading and commenting.

-This is a good point, I hadn't thought about that. Any points for it being a hot snack? ;)

Thanks again and happy flying.

NGO85 1622 Comments

I fully agree, a hot snack is better than a cold salad. I would rather eat the satays. I'm just pointing out how a 5* carrier like MH does little to stand out over the consistently complained about European J offerings, other than the infinitely better seat ;)

KévinDC TEAM GOLD 4858 Comments

- Me too! There's something for everyone. Outdoor spaces, good and reasonably priced food options, many lounge areas and Premium lounges, fountains, a pool with a bar, airside hotels, and nice airside outdoor smoking areas (for those who care about that kind of thing), you never have to leave! haha.

I concur that the SATS lounge kinda sucks. I recently had to use it because the QF and BA lounges weren't open yet and it was not pleasant. Just thinking about that nasty orange decor makes me shudder. The food options are limited for an Asian lounge, but still better than out U.S. lounges. This is about the most negative thing you can find in Changi, and it really isn't bad. #FirstWorldProblems LOL

Amazing that MH can offer a hot snack on such a short flight. Thanks for this short and sweet report!