Review of Lufthansa flight Washington Frankfurt in Business

Class Business
Aircraft Boeing 747-8I
Take-off 23 Jul 16, 18:05
Arrival at 24 Jul 16, 08:00
LH   #47 out of 124 Airlines A minimum of 20 Flight-Reports is required in order to appear in the rankings. 920 reviews
FlyAlex
Published on 25th July 2016
Hello,

After a very nice holiday of visiting Washington D.C., Virginia (Colonial Williamsburg, Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Shenandoah National Park) and the great Outer Banks it was time to head back to Germany.

Check In at the empty Business Class counter was quick and friendly.
After a rather quick security check (no Priority lane available) I took the very modern automated people mover underground system to reach satellite building B.

photo imag2992photo imag2993

I spent like 30 minutes in the Lufthansa Business Class lounge.
This was one of the most boring and worst lounges I have ever been in. It is located in the cellar and very dull, old fashioned and totally over crowded.
People were even sitting on the ground floor as not enough seats were available.

Boarding started and actually you can directly board from the lounge through a separate corridor to the plane.
This was the only nice feature this lounge had to offer.

Here is a picture of our Boeing 747-8 Intercontinental for the 7 hours flight to Frankfurt:

photo imag2997

The flight was totally full and I took my seat on the upper deck.
Actually I prefer the 747-400 much more. Although old fashioned the upper deck is much smaller and therefore provides a more private feeling.

photo imag2998

Unfortunately the elderly female flight attendant serving our part of the cabin was not very nice.
She acted quite arrogant and not interested in her passengers.
She simply got the service done but without offering drink refills etc.

Pre take off drinks were served and menus distributed.

We pushed back ahead of schedule but suddenly on the taxiway we came to stop.
The captain informed us that Dulles Airport has just been closed completely and no more take offs or landing were allowed. However he did not know about the reason for that and I never found out.
In the end we waited on our position for more than an hour until traffic resumed and we took off with a delay of more than one hour.
While waiting flight attendants at least served drinks.

After take off the whole meal service again was done without trolleys and trays in restaurant service style.
But as the flight was full and our flight attendant acted very slowly it took 2,5 hours to finish the meal service.
In my opinion this is simply to long for such a short transatlantic overnight flight.

During dinner service you could see a very nice sunset:

photo imag3002photo imag3004

I got some sleep on the lie flat seat however I woke up again when cabin crew started service 1,5 hours before landing.

Breakfast was very nice and again done without any tray:

photo imag3009

In the end we landed late in Frankfurt and I had to rush to still get my connecting flight to Munich.

Thanks for reading,
FlyAlex

Verdict

Lufthansa

7.0/10

Washington - IAD

8.3/10

Frankfurt - FRA

7.3/10

Conclusion

Unfortunately the unfriendly and cold cabin crew responsible for my part of the cabin made this flight only a mediocre one.
Not bad but also nothing near great.

Informations on the route Washington (IAD) Frankfurt (FRA)

The contributors of Flight-Report published 9 reviews of 1 airlines on the route Washington (IAD) → Frankfurt (FRA).

The airline with the best average grade is Lufthansa with 7.4/10.

More informations

757Fan 466 Comments

Nice reports of your travel with LH, FlyAlex! Thank you for sharing.

I flew LH back in 2002 between JFK-FRA, and MUC-JFK in Business, and found the service and food to be quite good on both flights ... Looks like a nice Business Class offering on your flights, and the pre-arrival meal on both flights looks quite big compared to some!

Best,