Review of Turkish Airlines flight Istanbul Dalaman in Economy

Seat 20F
Aircraft Airbus A321
Take-off 04 Aug 19, 05:40
Arrival at 04 Aug 19, 07:15
TK   #12 out of 133 Airlines A minimum of 20 Flight-Reports is required in order to appear in the rankings. 571 reviews
ISTFlyer
Published on 15th September 2019

Report No: 2019-801E

Ladies and Gentleman,

Welcome to this report which would be a short domestic flight on the Turkish Airlines A321 from Istanbul to Dalaman in Economy Class. In this report, you could also find a small review of the Elite Plus & Business section of the Turkish Airlines Domestic Lounge. A more detailed review of the domestic lounge could be found here at one of my previous reports.

The routing for this trip was like this

Routing

• TK 2552 Istanbul Airport to Dalaman ( Economy ), Airbus A321-200, Turkish Airlines Domestic Lounge You are here
  • PC 2293 Dalaman to Istanbul-SAW ( Economy ), Airbus A320-200 Not available

Pax for this flight

Business Class: %65-70
Economy Class: %75-80

ONLINE CHECK-IN

As I didn't wake up that early for online check-in, the front row seats were all taken onboard this flight. Turkish Airlines does not offer free seating onboard their domestic flights onboard Economy Class ( even for their elites ) before OLCI, so it's essential to check-in early if you want a front row seat.

photo img_9872photo img_9873a

However, I was able to find a seat at row 12.

photo img_9874a

The morning of the flight, I have taken the H-2 bus from Mecidiyeköy, which now runs 7/24 and the journey took about 30-35 minutes.

Istanbul Airport - IST

Buses normally drop passengers at the departures level, but after midnight until the morning, passengers are dropped at the public transportation level.

So, I have entered the terminal from the arrivals level as there are no entrances from the public transportation level. The security checkpoint was empty early in the morning.

Even though Turkish Airlines has a special lounge entrance outside of the terminal, there are several Domestic Business Class check-in counters at the main building. There was no wait at the Business Class check-in. I have asked for a window seat at the exit row at that time and I was told that I could get 20F.

photo img_9882-30713

So, I have decided to sit at 20F.

photo img_9883a

As Turkish Airlines does not offer fast-track security for domestic passengers in the main building, after a wait shorter than 5 minutes, I have cleared security and started walking to the lounge.

Turkish Airlines DOMESTIC LOUNGE - Istanbul Airport

That morning, the Elite Plus & Business section of the Domestic Lounge was empty.

The food offerings are always the same in the domestic lounge.

photo img_9885-13786

Just a reminder that the soup is not photographed in this report

35-40 minutes before our scheduled time, I have headed to the lounge gates where passengers could benefit a direct lounge-aircraft boarding by bus.

After a short bus, we had arrived to the remote stand where our A321 was parked. TC-JMK would be operating the flight that day. It would be my second time onboard this specific aircraft. My first time was 7 years before this flight on the same route Istanbul to Dalaman but on a departure from Atatürk Airport.

Fuselage shot

TK 2552 Istanbul Airport TO DALAMAN AIRPORT

After boarding the aircraft, I have grabbed a pillow from the overhead bins and took my seat 20F. Seats 20D and 20E were empty throughout the flight.

The legroom at the exit row

The personal screens only had the route map loaded.

Some information, our flight distance would be 505 km.

The seat pocket had the safety card and the Skylife magazine.

I don't know why but TK is still advertising their old longhaul product instead of their new seats that they use on their 787-9 and that they would use on their A350's.

TK domestic route map

photo img_9900-43837

The TK fleet

And details of our aircraft

photo img_9906-25609

We had started our push back on time and at that time the old safety video, the Lego one, was being monitored from the personal screens.

Shortly after takeoff, the meal service had begun. Today's snack was a warmed white cheese sandwich which is served with a choice of drink.

A view from the exit door while we were on our way.

After the meal service, I have visited the lavatory which was clean.

photo img_9910-21105photo img_9911-53597

DALAMAN AIRPORT - DLM

After arriving ahead of schedule, we had parked to gate 33.

Last summer, the brand new Terminal 2 had opened to service. Currently, all flights operate from Terminal 2 as Terminal 1 is under maintenance.

As I didn't have any checked baggage, I have left the baggage claim hall and headed to the Havaş ( shuttle ) stop

FIDS, traffic in Dalaman could be a bit exotic

And after waiting the departure time of the shuttle, I have left the airport and this report has came to an end.

Thanks for reading and hope to see you in another report.

COMING UP:
As you would realize, I have changed the format of my coming-up section which would be more essential. The part written in bold would be the publishing month of the date with a prefix with 'E' early, 'M' mid or 'L' late; EN for English, FR for French. I am sorry that I had to cancel the publishing of several French translations due to the lack of time. This section would be only available in my latest Flight-Report's.

Due to my tight schedules at the moment, I am unable to translate reports into French, however, during the fall season, I would also post some Flight-Report's in French as well.
A cause de mon emploi de temps, je ne peux pas trouver du temps pour traduire des FR's en français mais je vais publier des FR's en français pendant l'automne.

Next Report:

The adventurous series would begin shortly. For the first time, I was going to fly on the Air Belgium A340-300 onboard a LOT flight on their Business cabin which would be followed by a LOT regional flight onboard their Premium Economy cabin but guess what happened. No more spoilers for now. The only hint would be that I have visited the Lufthansa Senator Lounge in Newark EN FR

photo h3photo img_9064-55759

Upcoming Reports which are flown

As an av-geek from Turkey, it was an honor to fly the Turkish Airlines 787-9, on it's first scheduled flight on the Business cabin. This series would contain a report of the brand new Dreamliner and a report onboard the Turkish Airlines 777-300ER, both onboard the Business cabin, and the series would also contain Business Lounge reviews on both airports of the itinerary. EN FR

photo f1

Then, as a part of a vacation planned for the summer, I have visited a country that I have never visited, and in this trip, I have flown the DHC-8 and CRJ-900 for the first time. In addition to the regional flights, this report would have two flights with Turkish Airlines, both on narrowbody aircraft onboard the Economy cabin. The first TK flight was operated with an Airbus A321 and the second one was operated with a Boeing 737-800. The second flight was previously filed 737-MAX-8, then changed to a 737-900ER after the incident, then swapped with an Airbus A319 and then swapped to a Boeing 737-800. EN

photo f2

Shortly after the domestic trip, I would share my flight experience to an interesting destination which I took the Turkish Airlines A330-300 on both ways. Surprisingly, at the outstation there weren't any lounges that TK contracted but in Istanbul I was able to experience the Miles&Smiles Lounge one more time EN FR

photo f4

Then, at the end of the summer, I have flown with this A380 to the States. This series would include 3 flights, one IST-FRA flight onboard the A321, one FRA-USA flight on the aircraft below and an American Airlines flight onboard a PMUS A320. This series would have reviews of the signature lounges of three different airlines. EN FR

photo f5

During a weekend, I was able to experience the American A321neo on a transatlantic flight. The second flight on this series would be on another airline including a review of their airline club. EN

photo f6

Upcoming flights that I haven't flown

For thanksgiving, I have booked a really cheap fare onboard United Airlines and it would be my second time flying them on a transatlantic flight. It would be a day-time transatlantic flight onboard the Boeing 757-200 which would soon retire from the UA fleet. After this UA flight, I would transfer to a TK flight back home to Istanbul onboard an Airbus A321. Both of the routes that I would cover in this series are previously reported on a different airline so you would have the chance to compare UA and TK to those respective airline(s). Again, all of the flights in this series would have lounge reviews. EN FR

photo glc10

Simply keep in touch with Flight-Report for my future reports.

Verdict

Turkish Airlines

8.2/10

Turkish Airlines Lounge (Domestic)

8.9/10
Comfort9.0

Istanbul - IST

9.8/10

Dalaman - DLM

8.6/10

Conclusion

There is nothing special to mention except the weirdness of Turkish Airlines not allowing Elite Plus ( highest tier ) passengers to select free seats ( even regular seats ) for free before OLCI on domestic flights. Otherwise, the flight was a regular TK domestic flight and the lounge was the Turkish Airlines Domestic Lounge as usual.

IST
(+) Reasonable wait at check-in and security checkpoints
Turkish Airlines Domestic Lounge
(+) Comfortable seating
(+) Breakfast selection
(+) Entertainment options at the lounge
TK 2552
(+) Comfortable seats and great legroom at exit row seats
DLM
(+) Efficient airport

jish.b SILVER 258 Comments

Nice report. Seems like a lot of inconsistencies between TK domestic & TK international - wow that A321 interior is ancient!! Thanks for sharing.

ISTFlyer GOLD AUTHOR 193 Comments

Hi jish.b and thanks for your comment,

- I remember the days when these ex-Kingfisher aircraft had joined the fleet. At that time, the product was the most recent product that TK offered onboard their short/medium-haul flights. Now, these aircraft are generally used at short international or domestic flights. By the way, TK doesn't have competitors on most of their domestic routes.

Once again thanks for stopping by.