Review of British Airways flight London Stockholm in Economy

Flight BA780
Seat --
Take-off 15 Aug 13, 13:30
Arrival at 15 Aug 13, 16:55
BA   #64 out of 136 Airlines A minimum of 20 Flight-Reports is required in order to appear in the rankings. 745 reviews
Leadership
By SILVER 25440
Published on 31st August 2013
Hi,

This day-trip around Europe is not over, this is the third flight of this very day!

1. Paris CDG - Frankfurt (Lufthansa, A320)
  2. CLICK-HERE
  3. Frankfurt - London LHR (British Airways, A380-800)
  4. CLICK-HERE
  5. London LHR - Stockholm ARN (British Airways, B787-8)
  6. [YOU ARE HERE]
  7. Stockholm ARN - Paris CDG (Air France, A320)
  8. CLICK-HERE

As you know I have just landed from Frankfurt with the new British Airways’s whalejet. The A380 is not the only new addition to BA this summer, thanks to multiple delays from Boeing, their 787-8 ended up being delivered roughly at the same time, earlier in June.

Similarly to the A380, BA decided to put their Dreamliner on European flights before starting long-haul operations from September, If I recall Toronto and Newark have been elected to be the first destinations.

The 787 is notoriously known for its multiple manufacturing process issues and its grounding during several months due to a malfunctioning battery earlier this year, but it’s also known for it’s huge commercial success. British Airways ordered a total of 24 787, 8 for the shorter -8 version and 16 for the -9 variant.

Once again no window seat for me :(

photo 1

First sight when I got off the train at Terminal 5C was this beauty ! I am glad you are here because you are the only reason I am heading to Sweden today!

photo 2

Terminal 5C is the smallest of all Terminal 5 and for your information it has no lounge (but you do get a voucher to use at Starbucks I think), so you have to use lounges at T5A or B.

photo 3

Qantas’s A380-800 are resting before their long journey back to Australia, now via Dubai.

photo 4

B777-200ER British Airways

Boarding by rows

photo 7

Here is our beauty again, G-ZBJA, the second delivered to BA (G-ZBJB was the first, don’t ask me why)

photo 8photo 9photo 10

787 are fitted with a 3-class layout with no First,

Club World is separated in 2 cabins in a 2-3-2 configuration (like on the upper deck of the A380), this is the second cabin with only two rows.

Then World Traveller Plus, in a comfortable 2-3-2 configuration.

And World Traveller, in a tight 3-3-3 configuration, unfortunately only ANA and JAL on their long haul configured 787 decided to go for a more comfortable 2-4-2 configuration.

photo 15photo 16photo 17

When I board, I informed crew members that I was desperately looking for a window seat, once boarding was completed they came back to offer me a window seat on the right side, I was delighted!

Safety is done using screens this time

photo 18

Talking about 787, this poor one will probably never see the sky again :(

photo 19

T4 is full house in this early afternoon (with 787 from AI & QR)

photo 20

Off we go!

photo 21

T5

photo 22photo 23photo 24

The no-smoking sign is gone.

photo 25

With these big windows, cabin is bright.

photo 26

And as you know, the 787 is the first aircraft to have electronic dimmable windows instead of traditional windows shades.

photo 27

By the press of a button, 5 different settings are available.

photo 28

Here in action from fully open to fully dark.

I really like it, it’s a fantastic innovation and very useful as you can still see outside.

Shortly after, service started, as it is a longer flight wraps are offered instead of the usual salty/sweet snack.

Portion was generous

IFE was not supposed to be turned on, but one hour into the flight it started, much to the crew surprise.

Like on 388, 77W and some 77E, the provider is Thales.

Remote control

Screen is of good definition and size but still not as big as on Qatar Airways’s 787

photo 38

The system is very responsive.

But I am mostly interested by the airshow

photo 41

A very intuitive system, you can zoom in and out as you wish.

This wing is beautiful, fyi we are cruising at FL410

photo 46photo 47photo 48

World Traveller, it’s almost full today

World Traveller Plus

photo 51

Toilet

photo 52

We are starting our descent

photo 53

Speedbreaks on !

photo 54

Final approach is a bit turbulent, you can check it out on the video bellow.

photo 55

BA is using Terminal 2 at Arlanda and I guess there is no gate capable for 787 as we were taken to a remote position and bussed to the Terminal.

Jumbo hostel visible, I spent two nights there in 2011, it was a fun experience.

photo 56

Final cabin shots while disembarking.
World Traveller

photo 57

World Traveller Plus

photo 58

Club World

Deboarding by stairs is offering great photos opportunities, especially with this sunny weather.

Video:

Verdict

British Airways

7.9/10

London - LHR

5.9/10

Stockholm - ARN

7.8/10

Conclusion

I am glad I made it, taking a 787 is not an easy task with the numerous cancellation, grounding and aircraft change XD.

BA did well on this flight, this is a regular cabin but I like tones used, however the 3-3-3 is quite tight, especially when few hours before I was on an A380-800, don’t be fooled by the seats who looks alike, on the 787 they are definitely narrower, for example on the 388 you can put on the seat pocket the safety card horizontally, on the 787 it doesn’t fit!

Beside that IFE is quite good and quite responsive, pitch is a bit limited and you have a sizeable IFE box on windows seats.

One more flight needed to round-up this European day-trip, easy to guess what it's gonna be!

Thanks for reading.

Information on the route London (LHR) Stockholm (ARN)

The contributors of Flight-Report published 6 reviews of 2 airlines on the route London (LHR) → Stockholm (ARN).

The airline with the best average rating is British Airways with 7.3/10.