Review of SAS flight Reykjavík Copenhagen in Economy

Seat 11C
Aircraft Airbus A320
Take-off 29 Sep 21, 10:30
Arrival at 29 Sep 21, 15:35
SK   #45 out of 72 Airlines A minimum of 10 flight-reports within the past two years is required to appear in the rankings. 189 reviews
bldavid
By SILVER 566
Published on 29th September 2021

Although SAS has been flying to Iceland for decades it only has a small share on the Icelandic market. Icelandair flies two or three times on most days between Kefkavík and CPH Copenhagen but SAS flies only once. Scandinavian Airlines seems to ignore completely the Icelandic outbound market - I've never seen any special offers or other marketing activities from their side. I choose SAS for my flight from to Copenhagen for the simple reason that while Icelandair's flight was at 07.45 (meaning a wake-up time of 04.15), SAS' flight was at 10.30 (meaning a wake-up time of 07.00).

Most of you probably know that Keflavík has a lot of Iclandair and Play flights to Europe in the morning, many Icelandair flights to the US/Canada in the afternoon but only a few other flights in-between.

photo 01

On-line check-in was not available. I got to the airport about one hour and 45 minutes before departure. There were quite a few people waiting to check in.

photo 02

There was no other passengers behind me by the time I got closer to the desk.

photo 03

My vaccination certificate was checked and I got my boarding pass in a few minutes.

I'm used to pass through security at Keflavík in a few minutes. It took a bit longer time today, around 15 minutes.

The terminal was quite empty. All shops were open.

photo 04

There's a shop with a large choice of drinks and a smaller choice of snacks.

photo 05

I had some sushi as a late breakfast.

photo 05b

View of the aircraft on my way to the gate.

photo 06

The only other departures were to the US by Delta and United.

photo 07

Boarding started at 10.00 through a jet bridge.

Our aircraft today was LN-RGM, an A320 delivered new to SAS in 2016.

The plane is single-class with the classical 3x3 seating configuration. There's a movable sign between the first rows that are reserved for SAS Plus passengers - this is SAS' premium economy class. I was travelling in economy class today. I purchased seat 11C with extra legroom in the emergency exit row for € 22.

photo 08

View of seats DEF in rows 10 to 12. The cabin looks old with this gray seat coulour in my opinion.

photo 09photo 11

The view towards the front of the cabin.

photo 12

Load was about 70%.

Push-back was exactly on-time at 10.30. Take-off was at 10.41.

Let's have a look at the menu card. SAS offers a Bob (Buy-on-Board) service although free coffee and tea are available.

photo 13photo 14

It's possible to pre-book a cold meal. I choose "fish or shrimp" for only € 10. I believe I was the only one who did that for this flight. The meal looked certainly more original than what you can buy on-board some other airlines but it just didn't have any taste I could remember at.

photo 15photo 16

I spent most of the flight reading a book about Kyrgyzstan, a country I like a lot.

I purchased some cashew nuts towards the end of the flight. I also asked for some tea (offered free of charge).

photo 17

We landed exactly on-time at 15.35.

No vaccination certificates or other documents were checked upon arrival at Copenhagen Airport.

Verdict

SAS

6.0/10

Reykjavík - KEF

7.8/10

Copenhagen - CPH

10.0/10

Conclusion

Waiting times at Keflavík Airport were a little longer than usually but nothing really bad. The flight was on-time, legroom was good and the cabin crew were nice. On-board catering was nothing special although I had pre-booked a cold meal. It was altogether an enjoyable flight.

KévinDC TEAM SILVER 5530 Comments

Hi David, always good to see your reports! It's also nice to see a review on SAS as we don't often get many of those. The cabin is nice, though mostly unremarkable save for the individual USB ports. Streaming IFE would be a welcome addition for these longer intra-European flights.

The pre-booked meal price isn't bad, when you compare to the drink prices--EUR 3.50 for a can of coke, that's nuts! Granted, everything is expensive in Scandinavian countries so I guess it's not unexpected.

Thanks for sharing!