Review of Icelandair flight Paris Reykjavík in Business

Class Business
Seat 3F
Take-off 21 Nov 21, 13:10
Arrival at 21 Nov 21, 15:45
FI   #39 out of 67 Airlines A minimum of 10 flight-reports within the past two years is required to appear in the rankings. 64 reviews
bldavid
By SILVER 859
Published on 23rd November 2021

This was my 60th flight with Icelandair.

I choose business class for this flight from Paris to Keflavík as the price difference compared to economy was only ISK 20,000 (about 130 €).

Icelandair uses Terminal 2B at Charles de Gaulle - Roissy (CDG). Many passengers from Paris connect to the US (or Canada) as Icelandair is almost always cheaper than the direct flights; most of the remaining pax are either French tourists visiting Iceland or Icelanders visiting Paris.

photo 01

The queue at check-in was long. We were waiting for 20 minutes in the business line and our check-in took 10 minutes. The line for economy class check-in was much longer and it looked like some passengers had to queue for an hour or so. The agents checked passport, vaccination certificates and the covid registration forms. They worked efficiently.

photo 02

Terminal 2B is quite nice. I asked the Icelandair call center before departure if priority security control (Accès numéro 1) was included and they were unable to give me an answer. The check-in agents told me it was not included. We were however allowed in with our business class boarding passes. Security control was quick and hassle-free.

View of our plane after security: TF-ISJ is a B757-200 aircraft built in 1999. It was previously used by Iberia, Varig, Kras Air and I-Fly.

photo 03photo 04

Here are the departures from Terminal 2B and 2D.

photo 05

Although Icelandair offers lounge access at almost all its international destinations it does not do so in Paris. No comment.

I went to the Starbucks "lounge".

photo 06

Boarding was easy. Priority boarding was available.

photo 07

Most of you probably know that Icelandair offers US Domestic First Class type business class seats in a 2+2 configuration. This is more comfortable than what most European airlines offer in business class for their intra-European flights but less comfortable than what the same airlines offer in intercontinental business class. There were a total of five rows of business class seats in this aircraft. Load was 19/20.

photo 08

Legroom is good.

photo 09

There was no welcome drink but water was distributed before departure.

photo 10

Reasonably good quality headphones were also offered.

photo 11photo 12photo 13

Push-back was at 13.24 for a scheduled departure time of 13.15. We taxied for some time behind a Kuwait Airways A330 (9K-APE) and we took off at 13.39.

The view right after take-off.

photo 14

We got a printed drink menu shortly after take-off.

But what meal will we get? There was no meal menu.

Some amuse-bouche and drinks were served.

photo 27

The meal didn't come for a long time so I had plenty of time to enjoy the outside views.

photo 28photo 29

The meal was served a full hour after take-off. It was a cold meal so I'm not sure why we had to wait so long. The main course was some cold roast beef with butter, sauce and vegetables. It was actually tender and very tasty. The cake served on the side was OK.

photo 30photo 31

A small chocolate was offered after the meal. Surtsey is an island that was born in 1963 after an underwater volcanic eruption.

photo 32

Let's have a look at the in-flight entertainment.

photo 33

There are 44 different movies in various categories.

I watched Judas and the Black Messiah - it was quite good.

photo 43

We reached Iceland at 15.41.

photo 44photo 45

The view over the town of Keflavík just one minute before landing.

photo 46

We landed at 15.47 for a scheduled arrival time of 15.45.

This was the fourth time I flew back to Iceland between September and November 2021. Arrival procedures (checking the covid registration form and free PCR test for Icelandic residents - note that tourists must have an antigen or PCR test before departure) took only about 15 to 20 minutes for my first three flights. They took one hour and 20 minutes this time as many Icelandair flights arrived at the same time.

Thank you for reading my flight report. Please feel free to comment.

photo 47

Verdict

Icelandair

6.5/10

Paris - CDG

8.0/10

Reykjavík - KEF

7.0/10

Conclusion

This flight was far from perfect: lack of information on whether priority security was included; no lounge access; no welcome drink; no choice of meals; only a cold meal at lunchtime. All these made this flight less good that a typical Icelandair business class experience pre-Covid. On the plus side the meal was very tasty and the seats are comfortable for a daytime flight within Europe. The cabin crew's work can be described as neither good or bad; they just did their job.

Information on the route Paris (CDG) Reykjavík (KEF)

The contributors of Flight-Report published 24 reviews of 3 airlines on the route Paris (CDG) → Reykjavík (KEF).

The airline with the best average rating is Icelandair with 7.2/10.

If you liked this review or if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to post a comment below !