Review of Alaska Airlines flight Anchorage Seattle in First

Flight AS 80
Class First
Take-off 11 Jan 15, 10:40
Arrival at 11 Jan 15, 14:50
AS   #88 out of 112 Airlines A minimum of 20 Flight-Reports is required in order to appear in the rankings. 52 reviews
Esteban
Published on 15th January 2015
  • BSL - AMS KL J / E190: HERE
  • AMS - SEA DL J / A330-300: HERE
  • SEA - ANC AS F / B737-900ER: HERE
  • ANC - FAI AS Y / B737-400: HERE
  • FAI - ANC AS Y / DH8Q-400: HERE
  • ANC - SEA AS F / B737-800: Here you are!
  • ??? - ??? ?? ? / ??: Later.

Next leg of my January trip, with the flight between Anchorage and Seattle. As soon as we landed in ANC we headed to the Alaska Airlines Board Room that we know pretty well after the 5H layover we had there a week ago.

One can make its pancakes, what we did. They are quite good.

photo DSC_0916

The lounge is pretty empty this Sunday morning:

photo DSC_0917

Excellent Wi-Fi that works fast and well.

Our plane is already here, we'll get the retro-livery that KévinDC already took.

The Dash that brought us from FAI is leaving for FAI again:

A bit of spotting, ANC is a freight hub, as seen from the pictures:

Close call on the retro logo:

photo DSC_0930

Boarding screen:

photo DSC_0931

The seat is similar to the ones of the 739ER, but no sky interior aboard this 738.

Water is already set on the seats, I usually do not make lots of difference between waters, but that one was very good

photo DSC_0935

Safety card, hold by Mom:

Our neighbor:

I had a good laugh with my Mom at that point, as I opened the cocktail table. I left it open at a mid-vertical position and she stared at it wondering what it was. I put the water bottle against it and explained that Alaskan water is best if the bottle stay in that position :)

Seat pitch:

photo DSC_0948

On time push back, de-icing and a bit of spotting:

After take-off some nice exterior shoots, with a military plane below us:

DigEplayer time:

photo DSC_0972

Recline:

photo DSC_0973

Bailey's to start:

More exterior shoots:

And then, the letdown of the flight, as the catering was the same as for the way to Anchorage. Yes, it was good, but twice the same meal, the same week, that's a pity.

photo DSC_0981photo DSC_0982

At the end of the meal, a luke warm, soaked thing is handed out:

photo DSC_0983

Arrival onto Seattle with Boeing Field:

Now, time for the second part of the bonus. First I start with the Trans-Alaskan Pipeline, which is a technological wonder. The pipeline is not underground as there is permafrost in this region. It would have heated the ground around and began to make the permafrost melt, that would have resulted in the pipeline moving and eventually breaking. It is, thus, almost over ground and in order to make the heat dissipate better, there are some heat repartitions installed on top of each section.

Happy family on holidays:

photo DSC_0647

The city of North Pole, nothing special, but famous as it is home of Santa Claus, and the candy city lights:

Some sunrises at around 03:00PM (in January sun sets at around 10:45AM, the day is quite short!)

The start of an aurora borealis, which, unfortunately never really made it past its start. So no better pictures :(

photo DSC_0711

Chena Hot Springs ice museum, cocktails are served in ice glasses. Quite funny!

Another northern light display but on a very cloudy sky. It was only active for a few minutes, so the pictures are not really nice. The last picture is not an aurora but Fairbanks city lights in distance.

Verdict

Alaska Airlines

7.5/10

Anchorage - ANC

10.0/10

Seattle - SEA

10.0/10

Conclusion

The seats are comfy, the crew was really great and did a superb job, as always with Alaska. It seems their crews are really proud to work for AS, and this reflects on the quality of service.

The food was good, but it was a sandwich, and the same as the week before. Wi-Fi was available, DigEplayer is great, but no moving map which is a pain on longer flights.

Early departure, early arrival, lounges were great, nothing more to say :)

jetsetpanda 2177 Comments

And the adventure continues...thanks for sharing this amazing trip of a lifetime with superb pics and bonus.

Too bad about the catering letdown on AS. I guess on routes to Alaska they do not have to be very competitive since they have a large share of the market. It will be interesting to see what will happen to this airline in the future, as DL tries to take more of its market share @ SEA. AS does not belong to any alliance and in a way can provide the best of two worlds since it partners with both Oneworld and Skyteam carriers, not to mention EK for award redemptions.

marathon 7837 Comments

That vintage livery is great. Close call on the logo... I hope it was a close up, rather :)
    Thanks for sharing !

KévinDC TEAM 3949 Comments

OK, I'm super late reading up on FRs...Yay, you got to fly the retro livery too! It's so pretty! Did I tell you Julien got me the 1/200 model for Xmas? The seats in F look really comfy with much more padding than the slimline seats most airlines are switching to now. A sandwich is disappointing in F and I feel your pain about no moving map...I'm addicted to the air show, LOL. Some beautiful colors while flying over the Alaskan mountains! Nice exotic bonus pics at the end. Thanks for sharing.

Esteban AUTHOR 3097 Comments

Thanks guys for your comments.

Yes Kévin you told me about the 1/200 model, that is a lovely Christmas Gift!!