Review of Sabena flight Brussels New York in Business

Arrival at 28 Jul 01, 12:40
S1 2 reviews
jetsetpanda
Published on 2nd February 2015
Hello and welcome to this return portion of my vintage SABENA report. Below is my schedule:

JFK-BRU in J - http://flight-report.com/en/report-9276.html
BRU-JFK in J - you are here.

I found Brussels to be a delightful city that was easy to get around. I stayed at the Novotel Grand Place and enjoyed having the Grand Place square only a couple of meters from my place. It was specially nice to go there at night and watch the light show with classical music.

Novotel.

photo 001 (1024x569)

Grand Place.

photo 008 (770x1024)photo 007 (1024x675)

Can you say that you have been to Brussels without a visit to the Musée de la Bande Dessinée?

photo 015 (1024x680)photo 016 (1024x729)

Speaking of bande dessinée….

photo 004 (1024x730)

Walking through Brussels and turning around the corner can be surprising.

photo 002 (634x1024)

The day of my return I took the train to the airport which was very convenient. The check-in was smooth and afterwards I paid a visit to the SN lounge. I don't recall seeing a buffet, just some pastries and light snacks. I remember that there were trays stacked up in the lounge for guests to help themselves to the snacks and drinks. Unfortunately I did not take any pictures of the lounge and back then did not place too much importance on this part of the trip experience.

I enjoyed my return flight more than the outbound flight, perhaps because it was a daytime one. FA's were polite and upon being greeted onboard I was offered pre-dept. drinks. Printed menus and amenity kits were passed out just like on the previous flight and hot towels started the meal service. The wine menu was the same as the outbound.

The menu.

Tapas were offered with your choice of beverages.

photo SN 551  BRU-JFK (2) (1024x557)

The smoked trout and halibut appetizer.

photo SN 551  BRU-JFK (3) (1024x649)photo SN 551  BRU-JFK (4) (1024x564)

For the main dish I had a local dish - chicken stew Gent style. There were 4 choices for main dishes on daytime flights. A choice of warm breads were offered by the FA.

photo SN 551  BRU-JFK (6) (1024x679)

After the meal I had the cheese plate.

photo SN 551  BRU-JFK (7) (1024x660)

Finally the dessert. I wanted the crème brûlée but by the time the FA reached my row only the lemon meringue was left. Arrgh!

photo SN 551  BRU-JFK (8) 2nd version (1024x673)

I don't recall bottles of water being handed out, but remember FA's offering beverages often throughout the flight. Afte a couple of movies and some reading it was time for the second meal.

I chose the Liège style green bean salad with smoked duck slices. My neighbor had the shrimps and they were cold. He asked the FA if there was anything hot but unfortunately both choices were cold.

photo SN 551  BRU-JFK (10) (1024x679)

We soon arrived in JFK and I had the chance to take a picture of my plane parked at the gate. I thought that the bird flying above the plane was a timely coincidence that reminded me again of Magritte and his work.

photo SN 551  BRU-JFK (12) (1024x679)

Verdict

Sabena

8.3/10

THE LOFT by Brussels Airlines

7.1/10
Comfort7.0

Brussels - BRU

8.9/10

New York - JFK

8.8/10

Conclusion

I had a great experience with this carrier and can't think of how fortunate I was in getting to fly it just before its end.

Seats were comfortable for its time and I was able to relax in them. However, there was not much privacy if you had someone sitting next to you.

The meals were nicer on the return than the outbound and we had 2 choices for appetizers and 4 for main dishes. The offering of a tapas dish with the beverage was a great touch that was better than any nuts. Meals seemed well prepared but it was slightly disappointing to not get your first choice for dessert. At the time it did not occur to me to take a pic. of the chocolates, but I believe that they were Neuhaus.

Information on the route Brussels (BRU) New York (JFK)

The contributors of Flight-Report published 14 reviews of 3 airlines on the route Brussels (BRU) → New York (JFK).

The airline with the best average rating is Sabena with 8.3/10.