Review of American Airlines flight Guatemala City Miami in Business

Flight AA983
Class Business
Take-off 20 Apr 19, 14:00
Arrival at 20 Apr 19, 18:50
AA   #72 out of 132 Airlines A minimum of 20 Flight-Reports is required in order to appear in the rankings. 409 reviews
Flyerboy2005
By SILVER 870
Published on 20th May 2019

Welcome to part 3 of 4 in my trip report series of my flights to and from Guatemala on American Airlines. After arriving at the airport, I went straight to the priority check in line.

photo img_9013photo img_9014

There was no wait at all and I was through security in no time. American Airlines doesn't have a lounge for business class passengers in Guatemala City, so I just hung out in the terminal until the flight boarded.

I was one of the first to board and was greeted by two relatively chipper flight attendants. I turned right into the business class cabin and took a seat. My plane (N803NN) was a 9 year old 737-800 (at the time of my flight) and was retrofitted with the Project Oasis interior. The plane was outfitted with Rockwell Collins MiQ seats in business class with 37 inches of pitch. I find them to not quite be as comfortable as the old seats due to considerably less padding, though they are just fine. The seat was clearly designed with personal device entertainment in mind, with a tablet holder in the tray table and a AC power and USB outlet in the storage compartment. A pop-out drink holder was available between seat There was no bulkhead between cabins, which made the cabin feel less private, so I would consider that a downside. The Boeing Sky Interior was added to the plane, including the new massive Boeing Space Bins. It was strange that the old sidewalls were kept, which took away from the modern feel of the cabin.

I was offered water as a pre-departure beverage. It would've been nice to have a choice, though, but at least I got something, since pre-departure beverages are a hit or miss on American.

photo img_9046photo img_9050

The safety demonstration shortly commenced. In no time, we were lining up on the runway and after a short take off roll we were off. There was moderate turbulence for the first 30 minutes or so of the flight, so the seat belt sign was on for a while.

photo img_9072photo img_9076

Around 20 minutes after departure hot towels were distributed. Immediately after, warm mixed nuts were given out as well as the option of a beverage. Sierra Mist per usual!

After the beverage service, one of the flight attendants left to help out the economy cabin. The other flight attendant promptly went around and took meal orders. There was an option between a beef taco or a chicken dish. I had pre-ordered the latter online and my choice was acknowledged. Five minutes later my meal was served. The flight attendant came around with a basket of warm bread. The main dish and the dessert were the highlights of the meal, with the salad being just alright.

photo img_9101photo img_9108

Service throughout the meal was attentive, though not the most polished. After the meal, I ordered a coffee and gazed out the window. We were given some great views of Mexico, with beautiful turquoise waters.

I also checked out the economy bathroom, which had been retrofitted with the same ones on the 737 MAX. They we incredibly tiny! Thankfully, the business class lavatories were spared from the lavatory change.

Before I knew it, we were descending into Miami.

photo img_9171photo img_9186

After we landed and went through customs and immigration, I cleared security and went to the American Airlines Flagship Lounge. It was a nice lounge with showers, an extensive buffet, and comfortable seating. I spent an hour in the lounge before heading to catch my flight on to DCA.

Follow my Instagram: @life_jonathanl