Review of EasyJet flight Lyon London in Economy

Flight U28416
Aircraft Airbus A319
Take-off 23 Oct 11, 10:25
Arrival at 23 Oct 11, 10:40
U2   #10 out of 23 Low-cost airlines A minimum of 20 Flight-Reports is required in order to appear in the rankings. 347 reviews
ChrisB
By SILVER 190
Published on 6th November 2019

introduction

Dear flight reporters and flight report readers!
Today i will present an uneventful yet important flight to me: this was the time when I decided to move to London!

Interestingly at the time there was exactly the same amount of choices of airlines to go to UK as today… British Airways and Easyjet direct, Air France and Lufthansa with a stop. We opted for easyjet, not so much because of the low fare offered but because, and I must say regretably, I didn't think I was belonging to the major airlines world (at least for european routes).

I booked my single ticket to London Gatwick on the easyjet website, adding the extra checkin suitcases (2!) for a sum I unfortunately don't remember.

photo 11111-72053

at lyon saint exupery airport

We arrived at lyon Saint Exupery Airport, at the terminal 1, at the time there was no specific low cost terminal like today, the checkin was done at that part of the airport.

Once the luggage dropped, we went through security quickly and went to the part of the terminal where you were driven by a bus to the plane, parked where there is now the newer terminal 1A

Our bird today was an Airbus A319 that easyjet received in 2007, so just 4 years before.

photo img_7770-57009

Aircraft: Airbus A319-111
Registration: G-EZBO
Engines: 2x CFM56
Age: 12 Years
Layout: Y156
Observation: with the old livery (no new livery at the time!)

on board the a319

The seats were clean and that is about all, when you choose easyjet it is not really for the comfort, although it is not the worse low cost carrier from that perspective.

photo screenshot_2019-11-05_092736

After push back we had the regular announce by the english captain in both english and he made an effort to also make it in french.
The safety procedures explained in the old fashion way by the crew.

We were taxiing for a very short time as the plane was parked next to the runway 36L, where from we rapidly took off.

After take off and the seat belt switched off passed 10,000 feet, the crew quickly started their on board service and i don't recall buring anything from the onboard menu.

I can't remember if Easyjet opened a base in Lyon yet at the time or not but as you can see the flight was almost full.

The usual and orange safety card, still on board nowadays.

photo screenshot_2019-11-05_092759

Enter text here…The flight seemed loooooong - as it was my first flight going to London, i didn't realise that time window will become short for me later on!!

We started our descent above a sunny english channel, made a left turn and landed at gatwick airport on runway 26L…

at london gatwick airport

Some old views of Gatwick airport..

We arrived at terminal south, that was one of the privilege of flying at the time, whereas all the low cost are now located on the north terminal, a 10 min ride away from the automatic transfert.

From there we took the gatwick express train to Victoria - which I was avoiding after this experience: Southwest trains are going to London Bridge and London Briackfriars for half the price!

Verdict

EasyJet

4.4/10
Buy-on-board menu4.0

Lyon - LYS

6.8/10

London - LGW

7.4/10

Conclusion

In conclusion a nice flight with Easyjet, good value for money, but nothing way out there.

KévinDC TEAM GOLD 4952 Comments

Hey Chris, Looks like you've always had a Flight-Reporters instinct having done this report several years before joining the site. It's cool to be able to look back on important moments like this, with a touch of AvGeekiness. When I moved from France to the US Flight-Report didn't exist and I only took pics of the outside of my plane (Continental). Would have been nice to have known about trip reports at the time and be able to reminisce.

I've only flown EZY a few times between TLS and ORY and was never really impressed with them and always found the cabins to be a bit drab and dark, thought the seats are reasonably comfortable. In 2011, I probably would have picked BA over EZY as BA still offered free checked bags and free food in Y at the time.

Considering you were moving to London, I can imagine the excess baggage charges were quite high.

Thanks for sharing!