Review of Lufthansa flight Madrid Frankfurt in Economy

Seat --
Aircraft Airbus A321
Take-off 10 Apr 22, 06:10
Arrival at 10 Apr 22, 08:40
LH   #65 out of 94 Airlines A minimum of 10 flight-reports within the past two years is required to appear in the rankings. 1598 reviews
Chibcha
By SILVER 210
Published on 11th May 2024

introduction

Hello again amigos!

This FR is part of a series, of a trip from Madrid to Helsinki via Frankfurt.

Turns out flying across Europe to Finland's capital from Madrid isn't as straight forward as to other European capitals. There is only one direct flight sold by Finnair (operated by Iberia) at prices that match the hop to NY.
So we are left with connecting flights, Google showed me as options to connect in CDG (AF), AMS (KL) or FRA/MUC (LH). Turned out the Mrs. had a tonne of Lifemiles ripe for spending, the LM app offered a reasonable price through Frankfurt, so it was a no-brainer.

It had been almost a decade since my last LH flight (back in the day LH still offered a legacy service with catering and free seat selection, among other perks)…now it was a bit of a glorified LCC. So let's see how it goes.

At madrid barajas

Because of the very early departure time, we cought a Cabify to the airport, which dropped us in less than 20 minutes in T2.

To the left are UX counters

photo 20220410_040231

I forgot to take a pic of LH's counters. It was a bit crowded, tending to both the FRA and MUC departures. Swiss also uses the same counters.
Because of the Mrs' LM status, we were able to check in on the business counter, saving us the queue.

The retro board:

photo 20220410_040233

Security was passed in no time, as it was almost empty

photo 20220410_040439

We were into the dead terminal. Even if it is horrible compared to T4, I still find the T123 complex to be a decent place (much better than Lisbon for example).

photo 20220410_041103photo 20220410_041904

Some of the planes outside

photo 20220410_041316photo 20220410_041812photo 20220410_041839

Knowing that no food was to be expected, we headed to the Puerta del Sol lounge for breakfast

photo 20220410_050325photo 20220410_050328photo 20220410_050947

We then went down to a fairly chaotic boarding…we were to be bussed to our A321

photo 20220410_054551photo 20220410_055304

Into lufthansa's a321

Lufthansa operates some of the oldest Airbus A32Xs…and while they are kept in top shape…one can start to tell their age.

photo 20220410_060819photo 20220410_061042photo 20220410_061146

We took off in the dark from RWY 36L

photo 20220410_064200photo 20220410_064826

Sunrise caught us in the air

photo 20220410_065707

I slept for most of the 2 hours to Germany… we were handed some water bottles anyways.

When I woke up we were about to land into a cloudy Frankfurt (the Westward approach to FR is one of my favourite, as it grants you amazing views of Mainhattan)

We first flew over the city

photo 20220410_084133

And then made a U turn to lign up with FRA's runways

The crew landed the A321 softly back home

photo 20220410_085123

Some of the traffic at FRA

photo 20220410_085640

The Tintin jet was there…as a huge Tintin fan, I love that plane!

photo 20220410_085821

There's no way not to guess who's the boss here

photo 20220410_085946photo 20220410_090005

We left our ride and were left with a couple of hours to spare in FRA

photo 20220410_090913

And here this FR comes to an end…

Verdict

Lufthansa

3.8/10

Independant Sala VIP Puerta de Alcala

6.4/10
Comfort10.0

Madrid - MAD

8.8/10

Frankfurt - FRA

8.1/10

Conclusion

Sadly LH has become another LCC, like IB or TP. Thankfully its seats are not as crappy as IB/TP. Nothing else to write home about.

MAD T2 isn't as exciting as T4, but it does the job. The Puerta del Sol VIP was also okay...COVID measures were still place with a person delivering your food from the buffet bar.

I save my comments on FRA for the next report.

Stay tuned for the next episodes of this series, thanks for reading, ¡Saludos!

Information on the route Madrid (MAD) Frankfurt (FRA)

Les contributeurs de Flight-Report ont posté 44 avis concernant 7 compagnies sur la ligne Madrid (MAD) → Frankfurt (FRA).

La compagnie qui obtient la meilleure moyenne est LAN Airlines avec 7.9/10.

La durée moyenne des vols est de 2 heures et 31 minutes.

If you liked this review or if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to post a comment below !
    jettoajet GOLD 116 Comments
    Hi Chibcha,

Such a treat to board from the back door. Rarely get to do that these days, at least for me.

At least the seats aren't as horrible as Iberia's

Yeah the Iberia one in the last review wasn’t great…

Sunrise caught us in the air

Simply stunning sunrise, goodness me.

You mention there was water provided, but any sort of snack service??

The Tintin jet was there…as a huge Tintin fan, I love that plane!

TINTIN!!!! I love Tintin as well. I had no idea there was a livery though. Great picture.

Thanks for sharing this flight report. Sucks to hear about Lufthansa and many others have said the same thing as you regarding it becoming an LLC. I Look forward to reading more about FRA airport.
      Chibcha SILVER AUTHOR 574 Comments
      Hi!

Its quite unusual in America. But it still happens often in Europe. The best part is the JetA1 smell...brings back memories of the good old days boarding 727s from the back stairs.

> You mention there was water provided, but any sort of snack service??
      Nope. A bottle of water and a LH chocolate.

Thanks for passing by!
        jettoajet GOLD 116 Comments
        But it still happens often in Europe.

Am very jealous about that, perhaps it's my sign to head back. Woahh, you were flying 727's?? Am even more jealous now!

Nope. A bottle of water and a LH chocolate.

That's a big shame..

Have a good day Chibcha!
    KévinDC TEAM SILVER 6813 Comments
    Helsinki, interesting! I'm going there in the fall and really looking forward to it!

We then went down to a fairly chaotic boarding…we were to be bussed to our A321

Hah, they want to get you ready for FRA where there's also a big chance of being bussed to the next aircraft haha

Just a water bottle on a 2h flight is lame...LH carried on Covid service protocols for way longer than most other carriers in Europe to save a buck (or Euro)! To think pre-Covid this flight would have gotten a free sandwich. At least now they have Buy-on-board so you can get something more to eat if you want.

Thanks for sharing!