Review of Garuda Indonesia flight Tokyo Jakarta in Economy

Seat 26H
Aircraft Airbus A330-300
Take-off 11 Mar 15, 11:45
Arrival at 11 Mar 15, 17:40
GA   #17 out of 139 Airlines A minimum of 20 Flight-Reports is required in order to appear in the rankings. 197 reviews
pokcay
Published on 12th March 2015
Welcome to the report of Tokyo (Haneda) to Jakarta trip I took earlier this week.

After a lovely 8 eight days around Japan, I’m ready to come home. Since I was staying at Akihabara area, the best mode of transport to reach the HND airport is by the Tokyo Monorail. Little did we know that we got squeezed in the Tokyo’s crazy rush hour. Anyway, despite feeling like a tuna in a can, we arrived safely at HND at around 8:15 AM.

Terminal was packed with people. Judging by the Departures time table, it’s no wonder that the crowd gathers, most international flights are still concentrated in the morning and the night. There were 2 Jakarta bound flights that morning, one flown by ANA, the other by GA.

Check-in started at 9:15 AM Sharp. Check-in agent was friendly and helpful, and thanks to my father’s Skyteam Elite status, my boarding pass also got tagged with Sky Priority (never got that kind of treatment before!)

We strolled around HND, and I find the International Terminal to be a lot fresher than Narita, thanks to its natural lighting. I find the shop to be less interesting than the ones in NRT, but the 5th floor Pop Town was a lot of fun for your late shopping of anything Japanese culture!. However, the observation deck was a lot of fun! Shame most of the planes are either ANA or JAL. For me, HKG is still the best place to do plane spotting.

Prior to entering airside, I went for a light bite of Japanese Parfait, consisted of Ice Cream, Rice Balls, and Red Beans. It was tasty!

photo retouched-1796

HND security check was very efficient. Everyone patiently waits, no rush whatsoever. Soon after that, I was airside. The hallways of HND were long, and fresher than NRT. Wasting no time, I went directly to the gate.

Boarding commenced as scheduled, passengers needing assistance was boarded first, followed by J and Sky Priority. I boarded to an empty Y cabin (at the moment of course), and secured my seat and luggage. The airplane had this brand new feel to it. No wonder, PK-GPU was only delivered mid 2014 last year, so everything still feels fresh! Seat back content was the same as the previous flight, so no picture of it. The seat belt sign has this new look to it (which I like), and the reading light was adequate without being too bright.

Taxi was on time, followed by the Japanese ground crew politeness (the bow and the wave), soon after, I was airborne. Amenity kits and pre-meal drinks & snacks were distributed. Menus are then handed out. Approx 1 hour into the flight, meal service begins. I chose the Japanese option, which was excellent. The Chicken in particular, was very succulent.

Not wanting to sleep, I watched several movies, including ‘The Theory of Everything’ and ‘Birdman’, with the first being brilliant, the latter, well, I don’t quite get it.

2 Hours before landing, Ice Creams and drinks were distributed. I asked for milk so I can make a milkshake with the ice cream. Being inside an airplane certainly makes you creative doesn't it?

photo retouched-1895photo retouched-1900photo retouched-1903

Light turbulence was felt at several points during the flights, near Philippines in particular. But thank God, nothing major.

Landing was on time, but because CGK has no empty space in the International terminal, we had to dock on the Domestic terminal before being transferred by bus to International arrival. No big deal. A bit of spotting was done during taxiing too, including seeing the aircraft i took on the previous report, PK-GPF

Immigration was fast, and my baggage come out even faster, it was less than 5 minutes after the carousel started.