Review of British Airways flight London Istanbul in Business

Seat 4F
Aircraft Airbus A320
Take-off 12 May 17, 10:20
Arrival at 12 May 17, 16:15
BA   #64 out of 139 Airlines A minimum of 20 Flight-Reports is required in order to appear in the rankings. 767 reviews
LTQLGW
Published on 25th May 2017
Hi everyone

This flight is first leg of a trip to Izmir, I usually fly TK but BA has introduced a special fare, £300 return LHR-IST, so even with an extra ticket onwards to Izmir with TK , the whole fare is better than the TK fare.

No comment on my tube ride from Kensington to T5. I am not used to T5 and, thus do not like it much.
photo img_4242 2

I can't find check in area for biz class, but a charming BA staff tells me to go to H zone
photo img_4243 2

So let us go to H zone, I already have my BP

photo img_4245 2photo img_4246 2
And it won't take long to drop off my luggage

photo img_4249 2

Then onwards to the fast track

Automated emigration

photo img_4248 3
And very fluent at security

photo img_4250 2
Much busier on the non fast track line

And then comes adventure; gate is not known yet, is it north? south? from main building or remote boarding areas?

But let us first follow the Lounge sign; after walking some yards, no more sign; I must have missed something so let us go backwards.

No I did not miss anything, after some distance there are no more signs to the lounge.

Oh here are some BA information desks, but what a crowd!

So let us walk to the next one; a charming BA staff (another one) has to think a few seconds before she can explain the way to the lounge….. Amazing don't you think? eventually she asks me if I know Boots stores? Yes Madam, so she says, when you see Boots on your left, look for the escalator on your right, and get upstairs.

Very accurate information, and eventually I get to the lounge

They tell me I'll board at gate A7 which is just underneath.
photo img_4252 2photo img_4263
A bit disappointed by this lounge, very crowded, not many electric sockets and the offer is sort of fast food like.

photo img_4258 2

I've just had a huge breakfast before leaving home, so a cuppa will do, and then a second one.

After tea…the loo
photo img_4261 2photo img_4259 2

Very clean

Time to go

GAte A7
I hope to be able to use Automated boarding on my next trip

photo img_4267 2photo img_4269 2
Priorities

photo img_4271photo img_4272
Hello! No it's not the A320 that will take me to IST

photo img_4270 2photo img_4273
Mine stands a bit further at the end of a very long gangway

Priority boarding but then we get stuck in the gangway for long long minutes

Actually, they were in charge of a handicapped passenger and it took long; but why did they start the boarding operations then?

photo img_4275 3

Nice welcome onboard

photo img_4277 2

With the usual Western Europe airlines business class seat

But no other passenger on this row, so I won't have to share the central table and can get a second pillow for my nap.

photo img_4278 2photo img_4283 3
Pitch is OK for my legs

No drink service before taKe off
photo img_4285 2photo img_4286 2
But menu is handed over
Pushback on time
photo img_4287 3photo img_4288 2
Some BA on our way
And some other aircrafts
A touch of the good old days, don't you think?

SAS livery is not very attractive, I think.

Once airborne, drink service starts; I am non alcoholic so I can't tell you much about the offer; orange juice for me and cashew nuts wrapped so that you can't open it. I wish I had my scissors with me.
photo img_4295 2photo img_4296 2
Nice cutlery; the starter looks nice but as often it is too cold and tasteless; but I don't care much about starters so all in all it will do.
photo img_4297photo img_4298 2
I selected chicken, does not look very attractive on the picture, but it was hot enough, plentiful and tasty.
I liked cheese
I was worried about the dessert as they called it "chocolate tart" but it was a delicious bitter cocoa mousse with a very tasty coffee cream; absolutely delicious.
photo img_4299 2

And a full mug of tea, I love that..

IFE on small overhead screens; I'm not interested in that so no more comment

photo img_4300 2
Bad luck, the sink can't be drained

Some reading and a little nap and we are flying over Bosphorus
photo img_4302 2photo img_4303 2
Bridges on Bosphorus
photo img_4305 2
Then Haliç bridge over the Golden Horn
photo img_4306 2
Getting closer to the airport

Parking at the terminal gate itself.

photo img_4309 2
This is my way

photo img_4312 2
They gave this fast track pass while on board

photo img_4314 2
A first immigration area, almost empty, but every passenger is requested to go to the next one; nobody, including turkish passengers can understand why…

Next immigration area is very busy; a fast track for TK/Star Alliance pax, with 2 officers; another one for other airlines' with one officer only.

photo img_4315 2
15/20 minutes wait altogether, so not that bad and much better than the long line off fast track.

photo img_4316 2
And eventually, no waiting at luggage belt where my luggage and I arrive at the same time.

On my way to the domestic terminal , where I drop off my luggage at the small check in area by the business lounge, and enter the lounge after security check; all in all 1 hour from touchdown to TK lounge. Ready to take off to Izmir, but I won't report it as I did it a few months ago: http://flight-report.com/fr/report/22031/Turkish-Airlines-TK-2336-Istanbul-IST-zmir-ADB

A little bonus if you enjoy that

photo img_4321 2
Yes it is IST

photo img_4331 2
Better not to compare business seats on TK domestic flights and Western airlines' European flights
photo img_4334 2photo img_4322 2
Well life in Turkey may not be as horrible as reported in western press. People go out late at night and on week ends.

Saturday afternoon in Izmir; getting prepared for the crowd of people getting downtown for dinner
photo img_4323 2

Thanks for having read this report and for your comments. Till next time;

Any comment to help me improve my english will be most welcome!