Review of Singapore Airlines flight Ho Chi Minh City Singapore in Economy

Airline Singapore Airlines
Flight SQ 185
Class Economy
Seat 59A
Aircraft Airbus A330-300
Flight time 01:35
Take-off 18 Jun 18, 03:50
Arrival at 18 Jun 18, 06:25
SQ   #4 out of 68 Airlines A minimum of 10 flight-reports within the past two years is required to appear in the rankings. 632 reviews
By 1282
Published on 25th June 2018
Before heading back to the airport, I had my last dose of Vietnamese coffee at Trung Nguyen Legend Café.

photo 41165689450_c4b2090b3c_b

Went back to the airport by Grab and reached the airport within 30min. Check-in at the SQ counters was quick as they were rather empty.

photo 28107129757_cf7baeacb5_b

photo 41165689280_2b0792af1b_b

Through immigration and security after a short queue, into the sterile looking departure hall with over-priced duty free shops.

photo 28107129357_167680899b_b

Spotted 2 A350s from the Skyteam family, CI and VN (in Skyteam livery).

photo 28107129637_6f36cba56d_b

Proceeded to the gate area about an hour before departure. The gate was still not too crowded.

photo 28107128747_daa1322a83_b

photo 42926304682_8725454055_b

The aircraft landed at 1840hrs and we were expecting it to taxi to the gate. Now this is when the 'fun' begins. Nearly 30min after the aircraft has landed, the A330 had still not taxied in, and switching on the FR24 app, I noticed that the aircraft, 9V-SSA, was stopped at the taxiway right at the end of Rwy07R. Weird as other aircraft were landing behind it and taxiing back from an earlier taxiway exit. Noted something amiss, and seeing the ground staff gathering around at the boarding gate counter for an internal update, I approached one of the ground staff, and was informed that the captain updated that there was a technical issue. The ground staff had no clues as well on what was the problem, but I suspected that the aircraft had hydraulics problems after landing and could not turn the nose-gear. Apparently, this was a common fault on SQ's A330s, with another aircraft also suffering the same problem after landing in Kolkata just a month back.

Finally nearing the STD, the ground staff announced a delayed departure to 2110hrs due to 'technical issues' and the aircraft requiring further checks. Apparently, the aircraft was then towed to a remote stand after sitting on the taxiway for almost 45min. All departing passengers were also handed leaflets and informed that we would be able to redeem our boarding passes for a USD16 worth of meals at the restaurants on level 3.

photo 28107128307_3c2e4bf3f0_b

photo 28107128097_0728e8b4bb_b

Went up to the level 3 restaurants, where there were views of the tarmac. Spotted EY's special-liveried A330 among others.

photo 28107128437_b5ce0e4387_b

photo 41165688830_d398d371fa_b

Delay meal courtesy of SQ.

photo 28107127857_7b9248f2fb_b

At 2110hrs, we went back to the new gate, which was a bus gate, only to find that the flight had been further delayed to 2230hrs.

photo 41165688660_71c27029da_b

It was after 2200hrs when the station manager came to the gate and announced, to a lot of restless passengers who would be missing their connections, that the engineering team decided that the aircraft could not be fixed that night (ie. AOG-ed) and a rescue aircraft would need to be ferried in from SIN. SIN despatch was arranging for the aircraft and crew to be flown in and the ETA of the rescue flight would be 0240hrs, with STD from SGN at 0340hrs, slightly more than 5hrs from now. The station manager offered to put up passengers at a nearby hotel (or our own hotel arrangements but claimable from SQ) but we would need to be back at 0200hrs for the flight, which most of the passengers found ridiculous as by the time everything is sorted out, it would had been past midnight. Subsequently, some passengers suggested to the station manager to put us up in a lounge, which subsequently the ground staff promised to arrange. Not wanting to put up with the further chaos, queries and wait, some of us passengers decided to head for the Orchid Lounge, accessible using our Priority Passes. Any charges would be claimable from SQ later. Not sure which lounge did SQ offered the rest of the passengers, but it was definitely not the Orchid Lounge.

Orchid Lounge is one of the three lounges in SGN international terminal. It is a standard Priority Pass access lounge offering simple dishes, beverages and rest facilities. Not the best lounge out there but certainly beats waiting in the cold and sterile terminal transit hall.

photo 29103259758_3a90bba773_b

photo 29103258748_5e7e00d942_b

photo 29103259458_5586a8b367_b

photo 41165688420_088f320e51_b

photo 41165688190_64d1df5a61_b

photo 29103258308_1c641295c0_b

Some plane spotting could be done from the lounge.

photo 41165688570_51f945e590_b

photo 41165688000_fb2d7135cb_b

photo 29103257888_4795efd41f_b

photo 41165687830_7c2e68fe40_b

The lounge closes at 0200hrs, and we were 'chased' out by the lounge attendants. Proceeded back to the gate, which changed back to Gate 27, to see the rescue aircraft landing and taxiing in 20min ahead of schedule. 9V-SSH, which was the exact aircraft I flew on to SGN, was operating this rescue flight.

photo 29103257378_9ca5647c50_b

17 June 2018 (delayed till 18 June)
Singapore Airlines
SQ 185
Ho Chi Minh City (SGN) - Singapore (SIN)
Economy Class
Flight Time: 1H33M

9V-SSH being loaded for the return flight. The incoming crew from the AOG-ed aircraft also boarded the aircraft.

photo 42257141554_9a3d0251c9_b

Boarding was soon called. During boarding, we were each handed a delay statement and an apology gift. Ground staff also apologised to each passenger. Onboard, blankets were handed out by the crew proactively. Again, no newspapers were offered at the aerobridge or onboard.

photo 29103257088_de2b7952a1_b

photo 42257141434_229eed2696_b

photo 28107125257_e3d50f1938_b

photo 29103256268_2ab4016d87_b

The apology gift was a long travel wallet.

photo 42257141334_4627d12fd8_b

photo 29103256608_236ccefd1e_b

photo 42257141204_55a5b9c4dc_b

It seemed that some of the passengers were either transferred to other flights or decided not to fly on this flight as there were a number of empty seats around when this flight was supposed to be full. A new set of stand-by crew, interestingly, apart from the IFM and Chief, almost all are leading crew in green ties and kebayas with only one junior blue-tie steward, was called up at the last moment to operate this flight. The outbound crew flew back as passengers. With the more senior crew onboard, service seemed much better, especially from the lady in green in my cabin who very proactively ensured that all passengers were comfortable and needs provided.

Hot towels distributed.

photo 42257141034_e14677bdcf_b

Doors closed, cargo loaded and safety video played. The pilot apologised again for the delay and updated that it was due to hydraulics issues with the earlier aircraft, which was now spotted parked at the remote stand at the domestic terminal.

photo 29103256028_fa3878d33f_b

Taxied out to the runway. It was slightly raining.

photo 42257140844_115d526e4b_b

Took off from Rwy07R at 0355am SGN time.

photo 28107124017_ef326fb303_b

Above the Ho Chi Minh city lights.

photo 42257140544_e99fc282f5_b

The flight remained quite turbulent for the entire flight due to shifting winds. Seatbelt signs were not turned off for the entire flight and crew had some difficulty serving the meals at some points and were requested to be seated. However, meal service was completed efficiently as some of the passengers declined the meal due to the late (or very early) hour. Instead of the originally catered dinner from SGN, the aircraft was catered with breakfast/brunch out from SIN instead. This morning, we had a choice of Egg Frittata or Nasi Uduk (coconut rice with side dishes). I went for the Nasi Uduk, which was served with fruits, roll with butter and preserve, and the same ice-cream as the incoming flight. The meal was okay, but at this early hour, all appetite was gone. My friend declined the meal and slept all the way.

photo 42257140094_5fcfd786b6_b

photo 28107123627_58ec7c9017_b

photo 42257140244_b5604a7471_b

photo 42257140304_861b21ff76_b

photo 28107123387_dd3d9f55c8_b

photo 28107123047_043ea5138c_b

Some re-routing required to avoid turbulent weather. Did not partake in the IFE as I was too tired.

photo 29103254418_0e632373f2_b

Cabin view after meal service and prior to descent.

photo 42257139994_2afca7a2b8_b

Arriving during daybreak.

photo 29103254208_c453a9b497_b

Landing on Rwy20C, almost 8hrs behind schedule.

Taxied to Terminal 2 and parked at the gate.

photo 42257139804_20d8036220_b

photo 28107122257_d93bb38a19_b
See more


Singapore Airlines

Cabin crew9.0

Southern Airports Services Company Orchid CIP Lounge


Ho Chi Minh City - SGN


Singapore - SIN



It was unfortunate to encounter a lengthy delay on SQ. Though staff did tried to ensure that we were well-taken of during the delay, it was a bit of a mess in the coordination initially. The offer of hotel stay was unrealistic in the first instance, as one passenger put it, he would need to return to the airport after checking into the room and washing his face, and it was upon suggestions by passengers that they decided that lounge entry was a better option. Good points were that meals and apology gifts were provided, and claims could be made subsequently. The seasoned crew on the rescue aircraft were also empathetic and provided good service. It was not a bad experience, but definitely not an experience I would want to go through again soon.

Information on the route Ho Chi Minh City (SGN) Singapore (SIN)


If you liked this review or if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to post a comment below !

Login to post a comment.