Review of Viva Air Peru flight Lima Iquitos in Economy

ChrisB
By SILVER 179
Published on 30th August 2019

introduction

I have been very lucky to go and travel in South America with my other half for 4 months from Argentina to Colombia.

Routing

• VV400 Viva Air - Lima - Iquitos You are here
  • VV401 Viva Air Iquitos - Lima Coming soon

We were flying from the Peruvian Capital to the remote town of Iquitos, where the Amazon river is born.

I was initially planning to fly Latam, or Peru but Viva Air was half the price so we chose this low cost airline, born in Colombia.

Viva Air doesn't have an app so we booked our tickets on the website itself. Of course the basic tarif just includes a little hand bag, the next tarif up a cabin luggage and 15kg on the hull and the last one additional 20kg and priority lane. I went for the last tariff as our luggage was quite heavy.

Like any other hard low cost airline, if you want to be seated together, you have to pay to choose your seats online.

photo e84bd18c817cf75c130d4d054787b0cfa1a72eef_sillas-eng

at lima airport

We arrived at the surprisingly small airport (for a capital city I mean) very early and queued at checkin. We printed our boarding pass tickets the day before otherwise the airline charges you for it. The staff was quite cold and dare I say mean: my luggage was 1.12kg over and i got charged extra for it despite my best protestations, arguing the higher tariff should be more generous, especially since the custom is usually 23 kg not 20.

photo 20190824_170307-87396

I was also told the priority lane wasn't for boarding but for luggage drop off!!

We then went through security quite quickly - with bottles full of water (not causing any issues it seems in Latin America).

The plane was parked at a gate with a jetway, It worth noticing it as it was the only service that made a good difference.

Our Viva bird was an A320-200 with sharklets.

Aircraft: Airbus A320-214
Registration: HK-5277
Engines: 2x CFM56
Age: 9 months
Layout: Y188
Observation: Registered in Colombia but used for Viva Air Peru.

Boarding happened in a single queue/group old fashion way.

Our seat was clean and that's about it. The seat pitch was the smallest I've ever seen. The seats themselves are some sort of faux leather covered ironing boards, with a tiny food tray (size of an enveloppe).

on board the a320

photo 20190710_050212-97750photo 20190710_050217

We took off with a 14 min delay, after safety briefing performed by the crew and an announce from the captain.

the crew quickly started their on board service but we didn't chose any food. After being requested from a couple of passengers, the crew finally deemed the lights down again to let us sleep a bit more.

Per flight radar we reached 35,000 feet quite quickly and the rest of the flight was smooth except a few turbulences approaching.

photo 20190824_170848

The airline didn't offer any entertainment.

The descent went a bit bumpy, but offered stunning views on the amazon.

photo 20190710_070808

Viva air magasine was very average with a lot of advertisement. On the corporate section there was an interesting memo from the c.e.o. in both english and spanish, explaining the benefits of flying low-cost, that you are told you can only pay what you need (even if experienced otherwise).

photo 20190831_172924photo 20190831_172914

The landing was smooth.

photo screenshot_20190824-170525_video-playerphoto 20190710_072605

arriving at iquitos airport

The airport was modern, wirth plants, large, bright and AC'ed rooms.

Verdict

Viva Air Peru

3.2/10
Buy-on-board menu3.5

Lima - LIM

7.0/10

Iquitos - IQT

5.2/10

Conclusion

In conclusion To my surprise we found it even worse than Ryanair!
Staff demanded that we pay extra because our bags were 1.12kg overweight in a very angry way. The plane was a fairly young A320 but the seat pitch was the smallest I've ever seen. The seats themselves are some sort of faux leather covered ironing boards, with a tiny food tray (size of an enveloppe). All in all, and unless you travel just wearing your underwear, considering all the additional charges, a legacy carrier is cheaper.