Review of LAN Airlines flight Sydney Auckland in Economy

Seat 16H
Aircraft Airbus A340-300
Take-off 19 Mar 15, 09:30
Arrival at 19 Mar 15, 14:00
LA   #31 out of 131 Airlines A minimum of 20 Flight-Reports is required in order to appear in the rankings. 64 reviews
flywunala
Published on 25th March 2015
Off to Tahiti !

SYD AKL LA800 LAN eco - this report
AKL PPT TN102 AIR TAHITI NUI business - http://flight-report.com/fr/report-9823.html
PPT AKL TN101 AIR TAHITI NUI business - http://flight-report.com/fr/report-9834.html
AKL SYD QF146 QANTAS AIRWAYS eco - http://flight-report.com/fr/report-9939.html

This is the first of a four legs trip from Sydney to Papeete in French Polynesia. Since Air Tahiti Nui discontinued the route, there is no direct flight. Best options are Qantas/Air Tahiti Nui, Air New Zealand, AirCalin via Noumea.

All photos taken with my iPhone 6 plus….

My ticket is marketed by Qantas however only one sector is on Qantas metal…The joy of the code share world ! Only trouble is that LAN in SYD cannot check me in through to PPT, thus I will have to go to the transfer desk in AKL to get the AKL/PPT boarding pass. Believe however that they would have checked my luggage through all the way to PPT had I had any, which was not the case.
Another interesting situation is that I am leaving SYD on a Thu morning, arriving in PPT on a Wed night. THus having two days on the ground in PPT Thu/Fri. Returning from PPT on Sat morning and arriving in SYD on Sun night…all due to time difference and time zone. I lost a week-end in the process, but that was not all that bad after all !

As usual I am tracking the inbound aircraft. The flight is operating SCL-AKL-SYD-AKL-SCL with LAN 3 remaining A340-313X. It is not unusual for the flight to be a little creative with schedule so I am a little anxious for my connection in AKL. Luckily the inbound flight lands in SYD ahead of schedule. It is operated by A340-313X CC-CQF. Sadly I have flown on that aircraft before twice…It is my 7th sector on a LAN A340

photo IMG_0126

SYD Airport check in area. Qantas marketed ticket but LAN metal, so LAN check in counter…

photo IMG_0128

The check in process is pretty efficient.

photo IMG_0127

Sydney Airport is going through refurbishment of the air side terminal. Walking through the duty free is now a breeze..

photo IMG_0129photo IMG_0132

The duty free has been relocated in the main atrium area

photo IMG_0130

And some have just invented airport pop up duty free….

photo IMG_0131

I make my way to the Qantas Club.

photo IMG_0133

The lounge spread alongside one side of the terminal, which is the pier that Qantas uses mainly. Unfortunately, the view is obstructed…

photo IMG_0136photo IMG_0143

The best part….they have a real coffee machine, with a real barista. And an ice cream bar to die for….

photo IMG_0140

The business center features Apple computer…

photo IMG_0144

Now to the gate. Gate 31. Conveniently located near the center of the terminal, but challenging for getting a good view of the aircraft….
I do like the LAN livery. One of the smartest in the business….(actually between BoA, Aerolineas and LAN, South America boasts 3 of smartest liveries in the world…)

photo IMG_0149

Boarding is pretty smooth. The flight is not full
Which makes the process easier.

photo IMG_0152

I have to walk towards the back but I take time to take a few pictures of the LAN business class featured on the A340-313X
Again the flight is pretty light up front. It will get full once it picks up pax in AKL.

LAN eco class config is unsurprisingly 2 x 4 x 2. I have an aisle in the middle section, not far behing business class. Lucky me I have no one next to me.

photo IMG_0161photo IMG_0160

The seat pitch is quite decent. I am quite tall (188cm - 6'2). But again I am only travelling here for 3 hours.

photo IMG_0159

LAN IFE is pretty spectacular…with a huge selection of (great) movies. Lots of South American movies too, which I really like. Funny enough I don't speak Spanish.
I particularly love Argentinian movies.

One of the smart feature of the IFE is to be able to perk at the moving map while watching the movie. I am in heaven!

photo IMG_0170

Our plane start taxiing. Flight Radar does not recognise it for some reasons

photo IMG_0171

Off we go. The quality of the moving map / air show is pretty poor. Looks like the very first generation of air show. However the choice offered by LAN makes up for it.

LAN swtiches the IFE at the gate, thus I was able to start watching a movie as soon as I was seated. That is pretty cool too !
I choose to watch an Argentinian movie Wakolda. Movie about Dr Mengele exile to Argentina.
The full LAN IFE program is available here:http://www.lan.com/upload/pdf/ip-340-767-787-marzo-2015.pdf

photo IMG_0175

The inflight magazine. Online version available on iPad I believe.

photo IMG_0185

A snack / brunch is served. I have no expectation and had fruits and yoghurt at the Qantas club. It is only 10h30 SYD time…so not very hungry. However the tray is pretty good.

photo IMG_0176

See the little cup holder for the glass…

photo IMG_0177

Auckland is not far

photo IMG_0182

View of the back seat in front, on my left. Since I had two screens to myself, I screened the moving map of this one…

photo IMG_0183

View of the cabin

photo IMG_0188

A very poor photos of Rangitoto, a volcano dominating a small ilsland in the Auckland Harbour.

photo IMG_0189

Coming from the West, flying south of the city CBD, sharp 160 degre turn right to line up to the West.

photo IMG_0190

Parked at the gate in AKL next to….our old friend the dream machine…

Verdict

LAN Airlines

8.5/10

Qantas Business Lounge International

9.0/10
Comfort9.0

Sydney - SYD

6.8/10

Auckland - AKL

6.0/10

Conclusion

LAN is a very enjoyable alternative to cross the ditch (as they say in NZ) between SYD and AKL.
Qantas and Virgin both offer 737-800 services so LAN is the option if you want to fly a larger aircraft. AirNZ traditionally flies A320 but quite often upgauge their services with a 767, 777 or 787.
The food was good, the crew nice, the plane on time, the cabin clean...what else can you ask for ?
And since I have a soft spot for all things South American, well then I am a little partial.

Only drawback is the lack of a seamless experience at check in level since I was not given my boarding pass for the second leg of my trip. But the transfer in AKL happened to be a breeze so that was not an issue.

One regret though is that my trip was scheduled too early....As from next month the flight will be operated by a 787-9............argh...

Information on the route Sydney (SYD) Auckland (AKL)

The contributors of Flight-Report published 13 reviews of 6 airlines on the route Sydney (SYD) → Auckland (AKL).

The airline with the best average rating is Emirates with 8.4/10.

anthonytahiti 1575 Comments

Thanks for this nice report.
    LA is a good option for this flight SYD AKL, with a wideboby aircraft and long haul seats (especially for business class). 2 weeks before you, I choosed EK on the same route.
    I can't wait to read your report on TN flights.
    See you

Mathieu 2119 Comments

Good evening,

Thanks for sharing this beautiful report on LAN...
    I'm quite surprised : the hard product seems to be good. The J Class is acceptable.

Catering with a veritable glass is a plus, same for cutlers.

See you,

SKYTEAMCHC TEAM GOLD 7407 Comments

Thanks for sharing this report with us. It's quite cool to be able to fly such a bird on a 3 hours segment.
    The catering is sufficient for the time of the day and length of the flight and the crew was nice.
    The Business class cabin looks a bit old fashioned but comfortable.
    I am looking forward to your next reports to and from PPT !

KévinDC TEAM GOLD 4844 Comments

Very good report! It's really nice to be able to try this variety of carriers on a QF marketed ticket. I imagine that means all sectors earn full Qantas miles? The LA 5th freedom flight seems like a really good option for the Trans-Tasman crossing, with a widebody and good catering--it's nice to have a real glass in Economy, especially for a 3 hour flight. Yeah, the moving map is oldshool, but then again, that's not surprising on an A340. Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to the next legs.

SMilano 1269 Comments

Thanks for sharing!

LAN is a very good option for a trans-tasman flight.
    A widebody for a short flight is always better ! :)

The catering is good for the time an length of the flight.
    I did it 2 months ago in the other way with ANZ with a B777.
    Looking forward for the next flight !

See ya

flywunala AUTHOR 158 Comments

Thank you. Indeed twin aisle better than just one. I think Turkish Airlines have a few very long flights to Africa with 737...ouch!
      I have never managed to get a NZ 777 or 787 on the TransTasman but I am trying to work on this for my next flight to AKL....LA 787 on the way and NZ 787 on the way back!